SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hurtinmom38

grieving for our son

hurtinmom38
16 years ago

hello everyone. My husband and I are in a lot of pain right now and are at a total loss as to how to move on. When I was 19 yrs. old, I had a short lived relationship and during that time I became pregnant. I chose not to marry this person and to be a single parent.

When my son was 4 years old, I met the special man who became my son's stepdad. My son is now 18 yrs old and has turned out to be a fine young man in every way.

My husband has been my son's primary father figure and has provided for him in every way that a parent would be expected to... financially, emotionally, etc, etc. My son's bio dad holds it against me that I didn't marry him. He has gone on to marry and has been married for several years. He also has two children with his wife, one adopted child, and another son whom he just recently met who is older than my son. He has provided very little support for my son ($30 a week) while he and his wife live on a very nice income and have done so for quite some time. I wanted my son to have a relationship with his bio dad, so I have allowed him to visit with his dad on an every other weekend basis. His bio dad has also recently taken my son on vacations during the summer. My husband has been the one who has been there in every way possible for my son, while his bio dad has not participated or even kept in touch with him in between the weekend visits. Much of the time, I would find out that his bio dad would be working and he'd end up bonding more with his stepmom because she was there. At the time, I felt I was doing the right thing by sending him to visit his dad. Now I'm not so sure.

In the last few years, especially since my son has been old enough to decide who he wants to live with, my son's bio dad and stepmother have been trying very hard to put bad seeds in my son's head about us. They've ridiculed our parenting and have made jokes and wisecracks to our son about us. Just last Christmas, my son's stepmother began sending my son emails about me and they consisted of negativity and cutting me up and down to my son. We feel as if they have been trying to undermine our relationship with our son.

Just recently, my son made the decision to move out of our home and to move in with his dad and stepmother to go to college. We live in one state, while they live about an hour and a half away in another state. From what we're hearing from him, he plans to live there long term. We're devastated and can't understand why he made this decision. My son has conveyed to my husband that he greatly appreciates what he has done for him and that there are no negative feelings on his part. My son and I are also close and have a good relationship. My husband is deeply hurt and so am I. We did not have any children together and so this is our only child. We don't know where to go on from here. Our son has been moved out for a week and a half now and has not called to talk to my husband and has not made any efforts to come and visit. He's telling us that he probably won't be visiting as often as he did with his dad because of his busy schedule. He has emailed me a few times but only because I've emailed him first. It's as if he has dropped off the face of the earth. We're lost and hurt. Any advice would be great. Thanks. :)

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths