SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
craftsman1_gw

Andersen glass failure / repair

craftsman1
14 years ago

I have Andersen windows that were installed in 1989 when the house was built. I purchased the house in 2001 and within the month a lower sash "imploded" and another lost it's seal. Andersen sent me 2 new sashes which I installed. Over the years I noticed the common oval frost spots during the winter but never thought much about it chalking it up to humidity levels in the house. This past January I came across this Forum and found out the whole story regarding the argon seepage and the glass collapsing. I contacted Andersen and they sent a tech to repair 25 of my windows. Thank you all so much for the info; this site is great. I do have a question regarding the repair of my 3 panel Frenchwood door. Because it was in the middle of January I was told the fixed panels would be repaired in the spring due to the fact that they had to be removed in order to repair them. Being a contractor, I opted to not have them repaired and have made a prototype jig that enables the repair to be done without removing the panels (saving the interior stops and eliminating the risk of the new stops not matching the original stained finish). What diameter / length closed-end rivet should I use (1/8" with a range of .020-.062)? Also would an aluminum or steel mandrel on the rivet be better? I sincerely appreciate any and all information regarding this situation and look forward to all replys.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor