SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunshine_funshine

whaddya think? Idea percolating...

sunshine_funshine
16 years ago

Here's what I'm thinking,

I have several styrofoam cones that I planned to make into some type of Christmas trees. Since reading here, I have decided to put thinset on them, mosaic in holiday colors-not just red and green but utilizing all the diff. colors people decorate with now. I plan to use 2 diff. sizes of tree, put a fairly thick dowel in the center, drill holes in a half piece of a log cut lengthwise and put the trees in it using wood glue and tightly fit. Then cut additional holes with an appropriate size bit to put candles. Then add greenery and holly, (maybe fake, maybe real)possibly moss to make a very dressy holiday mosaic centerpiece. I do have concerns about the weight of the trees and getting them to stand upright in the center of a table. 'Cause if it fell with lit candles-not funny. I have been coating lots of stuff with thinset lately-especially bowling balls and styrofoam.

So, does it sound like it will work? What have I overlooked as far as utility vs. just something nice to look at? Maybe not do the candles? The log length would have to be of good size and I guess width also. Do I sand down the thinset? Can I paint over thinset? I plan to do at least 2 coats of thinset 'cause I noticed there are some small divets in it. It could become too big for an average table. Probably need fat, short dowels. I am rambling now so give me some feedback, please and thanx!

Comments (27)

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I would suggest just using green grout instead of thinset, and just make sure the base is wide enough to support it all, it sounds like an excellent idea!!!

• texaswild
    16 years ago

OHMYGOODNESS!!!!!!!!!!! That's a fabulous idea. I totally understand your plan, and can't see why it won't work, as long as you keep the scale right so it's not top-heavy. SUNSHINE - what a WONDERFUL, CREATIVE idea. If you don't mind, I might borrow part of that idea. I don't put up a huge Christmas tree anymore, but have to put up a few things. I LOVE your idea, and hope you'll get started quickly and give us a tutorial along the way. BTW - you holding out on us - not showing us what you've been doing w/thinset on styrofoam/BBs??????? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?????

• Related Discussions

My Soil Mix, whaddya think?

Q

Comments (8)
    Thanks for the input! I'm a little obsessive about my soil mix, my results were so good last year that I have family and friends asking me to mix them up a batch of my "organic super soil" lol... I agree about the nitrogen possibly being a bit heavy, I've had maniacal vegetative growth but the flower production has maybe not been what I would expect. To remedy this, I've added a healthy dose of ashes from my woodstove and plan on using a heavy P,K organic fertilizer. Any other additives I could use to boost the P and K? I'm actually a little releived to hear your concerns about drainage...I've been worried about over-watering. I usually water early every evening and will mulch in each bed. Is straw my best bet for mulch? Also, on the mulch note, I'm doing a small "help yourself" tomato/pepper garden outside my office. I'd like to mulch with something that's attractive, my first thought was cedar mulch that's readily available here, but have heard wood mulch isn't a good idea. What about the rubber "wood" mulch that's popping up everywhere...it that ok for use in gardens? Any other suggestions? Thanks again...so glad I found this site!!
    ...See More

Amazon's 'Kindle'...whaddya think?

Q

Comments (14)
    I've been reading an annotated version online of a book I've read before by the author I love above all others. Even though I'm reading the online version in one of the places I'd read a regular book--in bed--I'm finding I don't have quite the same attention span as I do when I have paper to flip through. I keep hearing that the Kindle (hate the name) is designed to be easier on the eyes/more paper-like than the typical laptop monitor, but I have my doubts. And even if the thing does offer a pleasurable reading experience (can you adjust your type size?), I'm assuming it's too delicate to take to the beach or into the bathtub. And books are better on long trips, because you can buy cheap or used paperbacks and then abandon them (ideally at a hotel book-exchange rack) without guilt. I also wonder if it's likely to be a pain transferring one's favorite books from device to device every time the technology changes (like it's been taking certain docs from big floppies to little floppies to zip to cd or dvd). I do like the idea of saving a few trees. Still, I don't see myself using one--playing with one, maybe.
    ...See More

Lander Frary and Clark percolator

Q

Comments (2)
    Lander Frary and Clark of New Britain Ct were the makers of Universal appliances so you may be able to find something out searching under Universal percolators. The company was evenutally bought out by GE iirc in the early or mid 60's
    ...See More

Tree Log Wip

Q

Comments (2)
    I think it is such a great idea! and I like the idea of DH helping too!!! I think three is perfect! You are definitely onto something here and I want to do one...maybe not right away, but def for Christmas!!!
    ...See More
  • bamasusanna
    16 years ago

Yep! A GREAT idea. Sounds like the base will be sturdy enough, and you're gluing the dowels up into the tree. Also, with the tree being shaped as it is, wider at the bottom, I can't see how it woould be top heavy.
    The only thing I would change would be the candles. I would place votive candles around the base instead of inserting candles in the trees. I can just see wax melting all over those beautiful trees!!

• fiddlekate
    16 years ago

Sounds like a great idea!
    Can't wait to see it happening in pictures!
    Katie

• toomuchglass
    16 years ago

Those are some good ideas ! ---- Made me think of some of my own, too. I have a whole bunch of cardboard cones from industrial thread ... I can make mosaic trees out of them !

********** Project number 876 ....... *rolling my eyes !*

• sunshine_funshine
    Original Author
    16 years ago

TMG you're too much!! I understand the quandry you get yourself into with this hobby! Before I started looking at this forum I was actually stumped for stuff to do! How naieve and ridiculous I was then...

Slo-help yourself to any idea I have. Heaven knows I've helped myself to yours! Yes, I've been messin' with thinset and hypertufa and other concrete mixtures. Did some leaf castings. In the process of making rocks for my flower beds except its been to dang hot to do much the last two weeks. AND my eldest (22 yrs old this month-stepson) brought his girlfriend to meet us this past weekend. Got sidetracked having to do HOUSEWORK! UGH! Whenever I actually FINISH something I will post the wip pics and the finished one. Having issues finishing things lately too. Been canning and freezing. As with everyone else, too many ideas not enough time!

I will have to involve my DH in this one, so there will be time issues with him. But since it's just August I may have it done by the holidays!!

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Great idea, though I hate thinking about Christmas already!!

Maria

• seaglassic
    16 years ago

Jane, why grout, instead of the thinset?

I'm only recently getting a grasp on the concept of thinset...I'm so 'not knowing' in these things.

• barbfrizzell1955
    16 years ago

I love this idea and I like the idea of votive candles set in the base. I absolutely LOVE Christmas...November 1st I start my decorating outside and inside the house. I can't wait to see how your centerpiece looks!

Barb

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

I was just thinkin' that the styrofoam has all those little holes and so it is easy to grout. When I use those round styrofoam balls, I just glue my tesserae on and grout, it's super easy and fast. And grout comes in so many colors or can be tinted, that it would be faster than having to paint afterwards....but maybe I'm thinking of different styrofoam....some are smooth.

• sunshine_funshine
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Calam-what kind of glue are you using directly on styrofoam? My experience gluing directly on it has been bad. I wind up pushing it into the styrofoam and just have a big mess when I try to grout over it. I have an issue with patience so that may be the big prob here. That's why I decided to thinset it first, sand it fairly smooth and then plan to glue tesserae onto the thinset and then grout or thinset over that. Does that sound right?

Also since posting the initial idea, I have thought that you could cut stars out of the large blocks of styrofoam and dowel them into a log too. Also just balls mosaiced and doweled in could be nice. AND if I can figure out what to use to hook it on the tree, styrofoam mosaiced and made into ornaments. Somebody must've done that one already. I'll have to do a search.

Can't help it ladies...I LOVE CHRISTMAS!!! My kids and I make stuff for months and months beforehand and we just can't wait for people to open their gifts!

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

Why not just insert a wire loop with glue before you smeared on the thinset?

• sunshine_funshine
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Bama! That's why I post here! Now I just gotta do it!

• chickeemama
    16 years ago

With all the styrofoam things I have done I have used GEII in black or clear to put my pieces on. Of course you can only do so much and have to let it dry so they don't slide but I have had great success with it. These were all for indoor things only.

Great idea though..I really can't wait to see it done..I only decorate for christmas..never had the time or money to decorate for any other holiday!

• gin_gin
    16 years ago

My giant olive that sits in my giant martini glass was just a styro egg with the pointy end flattened some. I also used silicone to glue directly to the styrofoam.

• sunshine_funshine
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok here are some pics of this work in progress.

I started with three Styrofoam Christmas Trees, different sizes. One inch dowel and a log.

Thinset each tree three times. They probably donÂt NEED three coats. I did it on two trees and they are now fat so I will probably do two more coats to the center tree. I understand you could skip the thinsetting altogether. I painted one green just for kicks but it seems unnecssary.

Found an old log, this was from our stockpile of wood. I think the log is actually too big now that I see it with the trees, but right now IÂm not changing it. Cut the log in half. We tried to cut a smaller log but the bark just fell all apart and there were too many bugs in it for my comfort. So we used the chainsaw on this one. I sprayed the log with termite/ant/spider, etc. spray, put it in a plastic bag and left it outside for about 48 hours. (ThatÂs just how long it took me to get back to it.)

Used ½ inch dowel purchased at AC Moore. DH got his drill out and measured to center of log and drilled approximately half way to 2/3 way into the log using ½ inch drill bit. That was the smallest we could find in his tools. (He is always helpful, but he isnÂt very organized.) We tried it out on a scrap piece of wood before cutting into the log. It was a perfect match and the dowels wouldnÂt even move once inserted, so I didnÂt even glue them into the log. Have tried to pull them out and they won't budge. We cut the dowels with pvc cutters. I cut them higher than I thought they would need to be since cutting is easy, but you canÂt put them back together once theyÂre cut. Measured halfway for each other tree, eyeballed it and drilled the other holes. (There was some guess work involved in where I wanted the trees, taking into account the different sizes, and the bark makes it hard to hit a spot just right.)

Then I made an "X" mark on the bottom of the trees to find center. We drilled into the Styrofoam with the same drill bit. Sat the tree on the dowel and determine if it needed to be drilled out anymore or if the dowels needed to be cut. Did a little of both based on whether I was afraid of drilling the tree too much and causing a crack. I didnÂt have much concern about the dowel showing under the tree. I will just paint it brown if it shows too much.

I then thought about putting it on a table and the log scratching the surface. So I got out my felt and glued it to the bottom of the log.

I had absoutely no plan when I started gluing. I just went with it. Not sure what else I will put on the other trees, but some variation of what I have already done will obviously be used. My DD found the star in my blue globs and she found a seashell star that I think I may use on the top of another tree. Not sure what will be on the middle one, would like an angel but have to find one.

Have toyed with using sled ornament on the log, not doweled just glued. Found some candles that are battery operated but not sure what I will do with them. Have thought of a snowman also. Will have to see how my creative juices flow.

It'a heavy but not unmoveable. I only plan on moving it twice a year anyway. So questions, comments.

• d3bbi
    16 years ago

Sunshine, what a clever project! I love your creativity. It looks great so far! Your idea of adding a sleigh is great and maybe you could add some cotton snow during the holiday season that easily can be replaced each year.

• sunshine_funshine
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Debbi-I actually have been playing with that idea! Thanks for your input! I have also thought that it would be cool to make an armature and use white glass to create what would look like a snow covered hill and put a tree or snowman on that! Can ya' tell I LOVE Christmas/winter decorations!

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Well, you did GOOD. I so loved the idea when you first posted, and you followed through. G.R.E.A.T. Didja decide not to put candles? Just went back to look again. You know what? After you mosaic the middle one you could add little danglies for a 3-D effect. HobLob has those teensy ornaments that would look cute. I like this idea so much I'm gonna try to use the concept for something for the holidays.

• shrty411
    16 years ago

I like slow's idea of the teensy ornaments!! They have such cool ones now!!

Love your ideas, though I can't bear to think of Christmas yet!!

Maria

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

Good job! I do what Chickee does, I use silicone on styrofoam. I bet this project of yours will be copied by several of us here!!! Jane

• sunshine_funshine
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Slow-is this what you were thinking of? (Forgive the grammer.) Where you thinking it could be mosaiced AND put on the small ornaments? These are just kitchen skewers, cut with exacto knife, a little sanding 'cause sometimes they split on the end. Then I just inserted them into the styrofoam with a little GEII. I'm gonna play around with this a little too.

Also, I do have some battery operated candles I found at AC Moore for 1.49 each, but not sure there will be room. Still working it out. I think real candles is just not an option on this particular piece. May be an option on my next piece that I am already playing with in my head! (Mosaiced pumpkins on a log. Saw some leaf shaped tealight holders at the store that would go great on it.) Sheer craziness!!

• texaswild
    16 years ago

No. What I was thinking was get those miniature ornaments from HobLob, and as if they were beads, put them into your mosaic but AFTER you grout, so you can have them dangling and won't have to worry w/them while grouting. Just for an example - not suggesting this but just to show you what I mean - on the one you have mosaiced, you could add one here and there on those half marbles w/just a dab of silicon so they stand out from the tree and dangle just as an ornament on a large tree. I love danglies, and hang them every chance I get on something - it's like my love of tassels or crystals - love hangy things.

• sunshine_funshine
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, I get it now. On my way out for school supplies. Will look for those while I'm out. Thanks for your input!

• sunshine_funshine
    Original Author
    16 years ago

No tiny ornaments in town yet! Dang it! The lady at Jo-ann Fabrics snickered at me when I asked. I guess I'm just way too ahead of the curve for the first time in my life!

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Oh, good grief! Where's that lady from??? Hobby Lobby has had Christmas ornaments out for weeks, maybe months, as well as another home dec store in town - Ellis Pottery. Well, it gives you time to do the mosaicing, then when the holidays get closer, you can decorate your trees. OR, you could make your own ornaments w/stained glass. I used to have a huge tree branch, spray painted gold in my family room, and used it for all the different seasons to decorate. I get bored easily, so took it down. Now DD wants me to put up another one cuz she misses it when she visits. Might do that again for Christmas this year, since everyone w/be here. My thinking is I can stick real branches into a large cone, mosaic the cone, and make stained glass or mirror ornaments for the branches. Now to find a log.

• sunshine_funshine
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I swear no ornaments that I could find yet. I have not gone to any home decor shops though. There is no Hobby Lobby within two hours of me. But I am still looking. Like your idea. Can't wait to see a pic of that!

I do have a plan to make some ornaments with stained glass, still churning it around.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus