SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
notrelated

We would like to see our grandchild

notrelated
16 years ago

I have been married to my husband for 5 1/2 years. His son was 19 and on his own at the time. He introduces me as his step-mom and calls me by his first name.

Three years ago he became involved with a woman with is three years older than he and who had a seven year old daughter. He moved into her apartment with her immediately, and was baby-sitting a lot. The father of her child is not involved but sends $600.mo child support.

The woman, Tracey, has thrown my step-son out several times over the years and Fred always comes across the street to seek the aid of his father and me. She always throws him out over little things (e.g., he accidentally broke a little ironing board)

The last time she threw him out we thught he was out for good. He was talking about being free and setting up an apartmen in a nearby town. We were very surprised to have his week's stay on our futon cut short with the news that she was pregnant.

He went back immediarely, determined to be a good father. Thoufg they live across the street, we had never met her. We went to the hospital when the child was born and met her, her daugter, and the new baby.

We have been told clearly by her to not knock on the door without advance notice. She will not pick up the phine when we call. My husband can only reach his son when he calls him on his cell phone.

The girfriend has never expressed any thanks or appreciation for any of the numerous gifts we have sent. She has refused or declined every single offer of help, and every invitation we have extended. The only time we get to see the baby is when Fred brings him over for a short visit i the late evening. Tracey has firmly declared I am not to call myself a grandmother as I am not related. My husband is torn by the animosity. He feels id his som is trapped in a terriblt situation.

How can we help? What should we do?

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County