SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zone_envy

HELP! I'm freakin' out here......

zone_envy
16 years ago

Okay, remember the lady that gave me all that beautiful tile? Remember that she talked about wanting pics of the stuff I mosaic to put on her web site? She also told me that she would put my stuff in her shop to sell if I was ever interested in doing that. I thought it was a very exciting prospect for the FUTURE, but I explained to her very, very, clearly that I was absolutely new to mosaicing and still just at the playing around and experimenting stage. That didn't seem to dampen her enthusiasm in the least and she told me that the offer was there if I ever wanted to pursue it.

Well, out of the blue today, the phone rings, and it's her. She (Diane) tells me that a woman came into her shop looking to have a memorial stone done. She'd like to have one of the photo tiles done and set in a concrete base, kind of like a stepping stone. She also wanted some type of decoration around the photo tile. So, Diane tells her that she can make the tile but doesn't do any of the other stuff. This is where I come in...she tells the lady that she knows someone who might be interested in doing the mosaic work for her!!!!!

I am seriously freaking out now (all the while trying not to sound like an idiot on the phone, lol)because, as you all know, I wasn't lying when I said I was completely inexperienced! I have never made a stepping stone before and have only a basic knowledge of how to go about it. I've been reading all your old posts and clipping like a madwoman, lol.

I'm not sure what to do here. I really want to go for it, but I'm sooooo nervous! She asked if I would come over on Friday afternoon to talk more about the details (and what I would charge!!!)and play around with some cement and molds that she has left over from a previous project. She did a little stepping stone with a picture of her dog on it - it's really cute. She decided after she was done that she was too busy with the other aspects of her business to expand into that area. She does know that I've never done one before because I admired hers and mentioned that it was something I'd like to try. Little did I know....

I did agree to meet with her on Friday and I guess I'll have to let her know for sure if I'm willing to take on the project. I'm not sure what to do and my mind is going a mile a minute. It would be a little easier on the nerves if it wasn't a memorial stone, I think:(

If anyone here could please, please, please offer any words of advice I would appreciate it from the bottom of my heart. I know this post is really long-winded and if you're actually still reading - thank you, lol!

Cindy

Comments (40)

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

O.K., first CALM down!

Now then. You do not give yourself enough credit for what you are truly capable of! Now I might've said diffently if you had told this chic you were a PRO, but you didn't.
    This sounds like a great learning experience for you.

I've never done a stone by pouring cement, I've always used a pre-made stone, so I can't help you with that aspect of the project. But you know there will be someone on this thread who can help talk you through this.
    Be excited about this opportunity!

Susan

• zone_envy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK, I'm taking deep breaths now, lol. Thank you Susan, that feels much better:)

I do think that I'm capable of doing this, I'm just not sure that I'm capable of doing it right now. Does that make any sense? I consider myself pretty handy and I'm always working on various projects either by myself or with my DH. I guess I'm just used to figuring things out and trying them on my own. If I had done one or two already then I would be singing a completely different tune. I am very excited at the thought of doing this, I guess it's just being put on the spot that's freaking me out a little. OK, a LOT, lol.

I think I read in another thread that you use thinset to attach your tessarae to the pre-made stone? That sounds interesting and might be an option. Do you still have to grout if you use this method?

Thanks again for the pep talk!

Cindy

• Related Discussions

help me figure out what I'm missing here

Q

Comments (3)
    The first thing to check is that each of the electric valves is not open manualy. This is fairly easy to check by making sure the solenoid is tight and if it has it, close the external bleed screw. If that doesn't clear up the problem you may need an irrigation specilist to check the valves.
    ...See More

In need of some help please I'm out of ideas.

Q

Comments (3)
    Thank you both.... John when I say moving it I meant just moving it to get it out of a downpour. Then right back into the sun when the showers end. Mike I have read that many times that over watering is next to impossible in this mix. But I still worry. So I am not going to move it out of the rain anymore. I'll just see what happens. Yes I did bare root it. The roots were not rotted at all. I have a pix somewhere. I will have to find it. Thanks for your help. I'll just keep plodding away. You guys are great help! I can't thank you enough for your support. Jenn
    ...See More

Oiling the Damn Freakin Ants Out

Q

Comments (8)
    The tanglefoot really works IF: 1) You do NOT put it directly on the bark. 2) whatever you wrap the tree with (plastic, etc) does not have any gaps between it and the bark. Putting a thin piece urethane foam between bark and plastic can help fill uneven spots in the bark. 3) No part of the tree can touch anything else. The trunk should be the only contact point between the tree and anything else on the planet. IT can't touch the house, another tree, a tall weed, etc., or the ants will use the alternative path. 4) You stay vigiliant. Ants will use small objects (dirt, small twigs, etc) to build a bride across the tanglefoot. So, you need to rough up the surface of the tanglefoot every so often, or add more. If you are only doing this during the few weeks that the figs get ripe, one or two applications should suffice. It also keeps ants from bringing other pests (scales, aphids, etc) into the tree.
    ...See More

LR help...I'm afraid to ask opinion but here goes!

Q

Comments (34)
    I have to say that I am not crazy about the round table in the middle of the chairs. It feels like the arrangement is fighting the shape of the room and the rug. Don't know if this would work, but I would turn the rug to run the other way in the room - long side running parallel to the double windows on the end. Then place the chairs side by side on each of the long sides of the rug - on square, not angled. Tables and good sized lamps between each set of two chairs for drinks, etc. No table in the middle. By keeping the seating toward the left side of the room ( as we look at the last floor plan), it would allow bookshelves to go on the long wall to the right of the window at the top of the floor plan. One other thing, just for grins. If the four chairs are identical in size and design, just different in color, I might try switching out the cushions - light cushions on dark chair frames, and vice versa. I think it will create a sense of greater continuity between all the seating.
    ...See More
  • bamasusanna
    16 years ago

Thinset would be your best option if you want to be sure of weather resistance. I grout after thinset is dried.

SLOW uses thinset as her grout also. I'm sure she'll chime in later too.

Susan

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Well, it looks like someone's ship has come in. I'm so excited for you, Zone. BAMA gave you good advice. Calm down - YOU CAN DO THIS. First off - you're a mosaic artist - not a concrete artist. If you don't feel comfortable pouring your own stone, and if your prospective client wants a stepping stone, use a ready-made one and mosaic it, including the tile your supplier makes. If she wants something molded, there are several on here w/more experience that I have that'll help you w/that. I've not used the indirect method yet. It's simple, but your reenforcements are important in these poured molds. Not to worry, you w/get through this w/the help of this forum. If you use a purchased stepping stone, I highly recommend using polymer modified thinset for adhering the tesserae AND the grout.

• sunshine_funshine
    16 years ago

Truth is, NO ONE knows what they are capable of until they do it! You did not mislead this woman, so if you choose to move forward, remind her of that. She obviously feels you can handle it, maybe not because she has seen your work, but because she has met you, sized you up, and feels you could handle the challenge. She's a business woman, she's not going to get someone involved in her business that she thinks can't handle it. I'll bet she also thinks she's helping you get started selling your work. Sounds like a very nice lady to me.

I think you are seriously considering this 'cause you want to see if you're up to it. Is that right? BELIEVE in yourself. If you feel you have the time and energy to put on this project. GO FOR IT! You have the best cheering section available on the net, right here. We won't let you down!

I have no experience making concrete to mosaic, but many here do. So you're pretty well set for info. and advice if you do it. I am really happy for you!

• tasymo
    16 years ago

Congratulations Zone Envy! Why not try a trial stepping stone of your own first? The pre-cast stones are fairly cheap, so you could do a sample (We KNOW you have lots of tiles to work with!) that you could show your client and get some practice in first. I'll bet that would make you feel alot better about the project!

• silvamae
    16 years ago

I have made a stepping stone using a pre-existing stone and mosaicing and grouting directly onto it, which I think is the easiest method.

I have also made memorial stepping stones using the indirect method. I used a ring saw to cut out the pieces, I purchased a mold because the buyer required a certain size, I used DiamondCrete (which is expensive but worth it). This method produced a stone which is absolutely smooth and very professional looking.

Let me know if you want more details.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• silvamae
    16 years ago

I went back and read your post and if the other lady furnishes the photo tile and all you do is a background or border, then it would be easy as pie to do this stone using a mold. If you use DiamondCrete, just charge her accordingly. It will be a great experience for you!! I was a nervous wreck before I poured the first one, but it turned out to be sooooooo easy. If I could afford it, I would turn out stepping stones all day long using this method. No adhesive! Just stick to contact paper. I loved it!

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Good luck with this!! You will get all the help you need here!!

Maria

• crackpotannie
    16 years ago

Since this will be your first I would buy a precast stone form Lowes or HD or somewhere and incorporate the tile in the center and then just do a design around that.Ask what colors she would like and go from there.Use thinset and sanded grout and seal...the brand Slow uses is good. Tell hr your not a pro and if she doesn't like it she doesn't have to take it ..I'm sure she will love it and you'll have a new beginning!Good Luck!

• zone_envy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Okay, I feel a little more calm about it today. I'm just going to go with it and see what happens on Friday. I can't really make any decisions until I know more about the details so there's no point in stressing out about it. All I can do for now is try to educate myself on the various methods of doing this and hopefully it'll all fall into place as we go.

Susan - Thank you, I think weather resistance would be a very important factor here.

Slow - Thank you for the advice. I'm really excited about this too and think it's a great opportunity to test the market. We just moved here at the end of May and I took the summer off because I haven't had a vacation in YEARS. It's been a lot of fun having time to "play" and this is the perfect time for me to try something like this.

Sunshine - WOW! You really have a way with words. You're very inspirational and made me feel like I CAN do this. What you said made perfect sense - thank you for being logical and supportive about it when I was doubting myself:)

Tasy - You're absolutely right, I would feel better if I did one or two before I met with her. It would give me a little more confidence and having something to show as a sample would be great! I'll try to run over to HD today for supplies.

Silvamae - Your stepping stone is soooo well done! I loved it so much that your original post about it is one of the posts that I clipped and saved to my page. Mmmmm...wish I had all the cool tools I see here. Thanks for sharing your experiences!

Maria - Thank you, I'll need all the luck I can get, lol. I may doubt myself sometimes, but I NEVER doubt the wonderful people on this forum. I knew that you guys would be there for me - thank you, thank you, thank you! You guys are the best!!!

Cindy

• zone_envy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Whoops! Looks like we were posting at the same time, Annie! Thank you for the advice and encouragement. You're right, if she doesn't like it it's not the end of the world. I'll still keep doing mosaics because I love doing it for my own enjoyment. If she does like it then hopefully it will be the start of something new and exciting for me. I think the only way I could lose would be to shy away from the opportunity and not take the chance. I'm gonna go for it and we'll see what happens!

Cindy

• d3bbi
    16 years ago

Zone, CONGRATULATIONS!!! I think you are in the right place here. Certainly you can get all the guidance you will need.

I suggest that you make a couple of stones before you tackle the commissioned one. So that means, when you negotiate your time for this job allow for your time to 'test' it out. She does not have to know that is what you are going to do, she just needs to know that your time frame is 2-3 weeks (or whatever).

I have been guided by a fellow mosaicer to make a concrete stone with the indirect method. Here is what we did:
    - First cut a piece of contact paper the size of your mold.
    - Lay all of your tile on contact paper, face of glass on the sticky side. We laid our pattern out face up, then covered it with the sticky side of contact paper. Our experience taught me not to place glass too close to the edge.
    - Grease your mold down with vaseline
    - lay your glass that is stuck to the contact paper down in the bottom of the mold. The contact paper is next to the mold and you are looking at the back side of the glass.
    - mix your concrete
    - pour slowly starting in the center, continue very slowly
    - we covered the mold with plastic overnight
    - after 24-48 hrs, you can pop it out.

I know their are others with more experience than I have so hopefully, they will chime in here and adjust my directions or give some better advice.

I have confidence that you CAN do this! Can't wait to see it.

• texaswild
    16 years ago

I remember Riana saying she re-enforces her steppers w/wire mesh in the middle - not necessarily one piece - she uses her scraps. Don't know if this is necessary but if I EVER pour one, I think I'm gonna put a layer of the wire mesh in the middle. Tell me, y'all, who have made them w/o, is this step necessary to keep it from cracking?

• barbfrizzell1955
    16 years ago

Well congratulations Cindy! I'm sure it must take Diane a bit of time for the photo tile to get made so that should give you some time to practice making some stones! Good Luck with your meeting tomorrow and I think it is great that you will have someplace to sell your stuff in the future. Wish I had someplace to sell my stuff...this economy sucks!!!! You've already gotten so much support, so GO FOR IT!!!!!!

Barb

• kelly6780
    16 years ago

Here is a stepping stone I made for my dad and stepmom:

• chickeemama
    16 years ago

See you have nothin to worry about!!! That stone was great so the memorial one will be too...go for it jump in feet first...everyone has given you all the best advice so there isn't anything left to do but DO IT!!!

Slow- I do put scraps in my stepping stones, the one I did have break could have been repaired had I wanted to. The scraps certainly don't hurt!!! Especially in a piece being sold.

• curbdiver1954
    16 years ago

Congratulations!! THis is so-o-o-o exciting!! It could definitely lead to something wonderful for you in the near future! Don't sell yourself short, between what you already know and the wonderful advice and support you can get here, you CAN do this! Do a couple of practice ones tonight and tomorrow, post pics for us to drool over and go to your meeting full of confidence!

Pat

• LinLee
    16 years ago

Cindy,
    I know it's an old cliche...but seriously,
    Nothing ventured nothing gained.
    Linlee

• d3bbi
    16 years ago

YES, REINFORCEMENT is needed. Thank you, Slow!!! I knew I was forgetting something. It's been months since we made a few stones.

We colored our concrete with grout colorants.

• nanatricia
    16 years ago

I use reinforcement also .I have a lot of chicken wire around here and use it.

This is some I have ben doing all summer I made my on .I just mo. half of them .

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

Holy Schmoly!! Will you look at that!!

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Wow cool border!!

Maria

• texaswild
    16 years ago

I can't believe this. These are so mind-boggling beautiful. What a WONDERFUL border. Been holding out on us, huh??? Aren't you afraid they'll disappear off that public street? This is such a neat idea - sooooooooo creative, and what a great way to dress up the street. Do you plan to go all the way around your property line? Truly unique - never would have thought of this.

• curbdiver1954
    16 years ago

What a lovely border! Great (and time saving idea!) to only mosaic the visible portion. The patterns you used look wonderful together. Bet you already have folks knocking on your door wanting to know where you got them!

Pat

• barbfrizzell1955
    16 years ago

Beautiful stones Nana! (and we don't care if you can't spell worth a durn) LOL
    How about a pic of the rest of the border???? We need more eye candy!

Barb

• shellybelly26
    16 years ago

kelly and nana beautiful stones maybe i can get up some pics of the ones DD and I did over the summer. I have two more she designed all by her lil 9 yr old self waiting for daddy to pour the concrete. stepping stones are super easy I actually think it may be the easiest thing I have done so far. we just stick the tile glass etc on contact paper cut to the size of an old cake pan, oil the sides and pour in consrete. I usually add some chicken wire for reinforcement. then when its set I flip it out and clean it off and voila a stepping stone is born. however for a paying job I would recommend that you make the stone and tile on top so you know its perfect. I have never had a perfect 1 yet but for me thats ok because it was just meant as a special project for me and my daughter to do together, so no matter how crazy they look I will always think hey are just right.

• texaswild
    16 years ago

On this direct method stuff. How do you keep the concrete from bleeding under the work that is face down? I've seen it done w/a thin coat of thinset on it before it's put down into the mold. I suppose I shouldn't be asking this - I should get busy and experiment for myself, but I just wonder about the concrete getting under the edges - bleeding - you know?

• LinLee
    16 years ago

Sooooo...Cindy,
    What happened at your meeting?

• sunshine_funshine
    16 years ago

Really cool stepping stones guys! I must try them sometime! Yeah, Zone, tell us!!

• kelly6780
    16 years ago

yeah! Come on, Come on!!! We want to know!!!

• ladyronnie
    16 years ago

That's why I came back here tonight, to see how it went!

NANA and KELLY: Great stones!

NANA: What do you use for a mold? A "store-bought" one, or made your own? I have been thinking just today of how I could make a concrete border where I want to put a flower bed, and had exactly what you've done in mind! God is so good, to show me what it'll look like :)

DEBBI: Thanks so much for the simple step by step. I can do that!

• zone_envy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry I left you guys hanging. I think it's so cool that you're excited to hear how it went. It's late and I'm dead tired, but I couldn't sleep without letting you all know what happened, lol. I'll try to keep it short and sweet and I'll get into more detail later.

I went to meet with Diane today and I brought along a few samples of what I've been working on. I did have time to do one quick stepping stone using her tile. I used the pre-made stone and thinset method just because it was a time crunch, but I'll be making my own stones for the next ones. She really liked what I showed her and seemed to think that her client would as well. She's not going to talk to the client again until Tuesday so that gives me a few days to play around with a few methods and ideas.

We talked for a couple hours about a million different ideas to market our stuff together and my head is spinning at the thought of it all. She gave me some really cool glass tiles (that are weather resistant) to use in the stepping stones that we'll have as prototypes to show potential clients. I promise you guys I'll share pics as soon as I get a chance.

So, all in all it was a really exciting, productive day that has certainly given me a LOT to think about.

Okay, I'll fill in the blanks tomorrow when I'm more awake and not feeling so scattered.

Thank you to everybody who has responded to this, I really appreciate all the advice and encouragement. A big thanks to those of you who also posted pics of your beautiful work - what an inspiration.

Sweet dreams everyone!

Cindy

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

wow zone, that's totally exciting!!!!!!!!!!!! show us your prototype, show us the glass tiles...... pics we need pics! lol

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Wow, how exciting for you!! Yes, post pictures!!

Slow, I thought someone with more experience night answer, but I've only done 2 indirect and they didn't really count because I used one big tile. When you "unmold" it you flip it over and you should be able to "clean" it without too much trouble. I think the trick would be getting your tesserae as tight as possible to you contact paper

Maria

• squirrellycanadian
    16 years ago

I did a few indirect method a couple years ago. I didn't really like doing it that way, couldn't stand waiting to see how it turned out! Because the whole thing is upside down while you wait for the cement to harden, I kept wondering if the glass shifted and it wouldn't look straight when unmolded. Personally, I just prefer to glue on an already made stone.
    Here they are, and 2 have been in the gound for 2 or 3 years.

Good luck with yours! What an exciting opportunity for you, this is something you never could have imagined would happen, you can do this!! Most of all, make sure you're having fun!!

• silvamae
    16 years ago

Slow, just coming back in here quickly to address your concern about the creeping problem. The lovely thing about using DiamondCrete is that you can decant the stone in ONE HOUR! (Then it has to set up for 30 days without being moved.) But imagine, in only an hour I got to find out whether or not the concrete creeped! As it happened, it didn't. It's really important to place each piece firmly onto the contact paper. I wish I could make hundreds of stepping stones using DiamondCrete but the cost would be prohibitive. On the ones I did for someone else, I added an extra $15 to the price of each one, because each took a box and a half of the stuff. The reason I used it in the first place is that I had to match some other stones she had done previously, and that's what they were made of.

• shellybelly26
    16 years ago

slow the ones that DD and I did over the summer did have some sepage but with the contact paper in the bottom it does help alot. but it was very easy to clean.

• chickiebabeblue
    16 years ago

Cindy,
    I took a class on the contact paper method, and my instructor had us lay our pattern on the worktable, then put the glass pieces on as you want them to appear when finished. When we had all of our pieces arranged we peeled the backing off the paper and put in on our glass. Then she had us give each piece a nice "backrub". This is to make sure all the pieces are well stuck to the paper. We then put the contact paper carefully into the lubricated mold (glass side up). We mixed the Diamondcrete and poured it into the mold. We then tapped the edges of the mold for about a minute to help dislodge bubbles. When the bubbles quit rising let it set still for an hour. Then we unmolded them. Mine worked just fine, but one of the other students had a little seepage. She just worked at it with an exacto knife and it chipped right off. If there were any bubbles or places where you could see where the contact paper had been, we made a slurry of Diamond crete and water and sort of fingerpainted them smooth. I then brought the stone home and let it cure for a month. I set it on 2 pencils so it was raised a bit. I did seal it after the curing period. It really wasn't hard, my only problem was the cost of the Diamond crete. I think in your application I would use it. Perhaps there is a cheaper alternative but I'm not aware of it. Good luck to you and congratulations on the opportunity.
    Jeanne

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Thanks, y'all, for the feedback - someday I'll try the indirect maybe.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County