SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joetypist

Child doesn't seem to care...

JoeTypist
21 years ago

Just out of curiosity has anybody had the following experience? I get the feeling that this is pretty rare, but maybe that's just because what's bland doesn't get talked about very much.

I have a 3 1/4 yr old SS. His mother gained custody of him @19 months. He's seen his father 3x since then, the last time at 23 months. His father calls about twice a month to talk to him.

My SS is very articulate (seems to me, anyway.) He's said he misses other family members (so I know he grasps the *concept* of missing somebody), but has never once said he misses his father. He mentions the father a bit now and again, but as part of 'daddy-fantasies' -- "my father has a tiger for a pet" and things like that.

That being said, he never says bad things about him either. (My wife and I keep all our criticism to ourselves.)

So...basically my SS is about as lukewarm about the whole thing as you can get. When I became involved with my wife I thought there'd be problems of one sort or another, and everything I've read has lead me to believe this as well. But....nothing. No asking after him, no behavior probs besides what I'd consider normal for the age, nothing. "Take-daddy-or-leave-him" was totally unexpected.

Not that I'm complaining, mind you.

Is this normal? Anybody else experience this? If so, anybody know what I might expect further down the road, 5, 10 years?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012