SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
imamommy

Economy 101

imamommy
14 years ago

Well, I'm sorry another thread got hijacked... so this thread is to discuss current economic conditions and how it's affecting our families... so, it's semi step related since most of us are in stepfamilies.

I disagree with unemployment being at 10%. That may be the national average based on unemployment applications or open claims, but that does NOT take into consideration the vast population that do not qualify for unemployment because they were self employed or are ineligible for benefits for other reasons. I think 10% is conservative... in my county, it's 18% and there are more vacant offices/buildings than thriving businesses. Our family business is hanging on, only because we don't have much debt... others aren't so lucky.

Not long ago, a man our family has known for years, came into the office. Just a couple of years ago, he was living in a multimillion dollar estate. His business was booming. Well, he came in to talk to my dad. He has lost his home and is living with his daughter. She lives in an apartment so it's crowded with her family and he wants to leave but cannot afford to. He was discussing an arrangement where he could park his RV and live in it on one of my dad's properties. It is hard to see how much some people are being affected.

Is there anyone out there that has NOT been affected?

Comments (94)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES