SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maxiepines_gw

2-story family room dilemma

maxiepines
12 years ago

I'm so desperate that I'm breaking down and posting pics of our undecorated family room. It needs help!!

The only things in the room that have to stay in the same location are the picture over the mantle (the framed one, not the robot that our son made!) and the tv (the garage is behind it and all of the wiring is hidden in there). And the blue train table is on its way out.

1. How do I manage the scale of this room, in terms of wall art and photos and storage furniture? I feel like things need to be huge b/c of the high ceilings - please suggest art/photo placement. I love having family photos around our home, but I'm intimidated by the 2-story tv wall!

2. It needs a focal point. What can I add to anchor the room? The tv has to be where it is; the result is a fireplace one way and a tv the other way.

3. It needs lighting (The switch only turns on that itty-bitty light above the fireplace (we call it "The Eyeball"). We live in Portland, Oregon so natural light is hard to come by for about 8 months a year. The ceiling is vaulted and sloped diagonally - how and where would you place lighting in this space?

Btw, we are going to strip and stain the fireplace a dark walnut by fall (to match the adjoining kitchen, which is just about to begin a revamp).

Thank you so much for any suggestions you have!!

The Eyeball and the slanted ceiling:

The height and slant of the tv wall:

Comments (11)