SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vistajpdf

The Prodical Son?

vistajpdf
16 years ago

SS has been MIA for over 2 years. We've been stuck paying a lot of his bills (I cosigned a student loan for him, we pay for his car we got back awhile ago but can't get rid of, pay his cell so we know where he is, etc.) He was in his 6 yr. of college when he dropped/failed out. Prior to this, he was an amazing student. We feared drugs, but friends say he's broke, no $ for drugs.

Anyway, last night at 2am, he called a friend to say he was on the streets of Atlanta, that his bf was kicking him out (gay) and had nowhere to turn. She said, "Call your parents (me and DH, BM won't deal w/ him til he 'turns' straight). They love you and want to hear from you." He didn't. DH texted him (he won't take our calls - no fight, just got angry when DH told him 2 yrs. ago that he had to either go to school or work.)

Friends, I'm filled w/ mixed emotions. I want nothing more than for my SS to return here and fulfill his dreams and make something of himself. I've spoken of his huge sense of entitlement, but he's also so, so bright and beautiful. I know he's torn - not comfortable w/ his lifestyle which has never been an issue for me. While DH isn't happy about it, they've never talked about it, though DH sees the writing on the wall and loves the man, hates the sin, if it's a sin...

However, just getting SD out on her own has made me not want another one here. SD had NO issues other than the usual ones of not being the most considerate, a little sloppy, etc. But, we have NO idea of what SS is like these days. Were drugs involved for him to turn around? Did he just get in w/ the wrong guy who promised him the world? They've had a rollercoaster relationship that I believe is undermining my SS's self-esteem. The bf's parents DESPISE my SS, citing him as the reason their son is gay.

DH and I had another therapy session and he told the therapist that he absolutely did not want SS in our home because of his questionable behavior and his track record. I was relieved as was she. We cannot subject the young boys to any erratic behavior, etc. But, we really want him back.

I'm not seeing a lot of options. I suggested taking out a small apt for him and giving him 30 days to start making money to keep it, or reenrolling him in the university here, if he can get in. He could live in the dorm. We have no money if the ins. $ doesn't come soon, so our hands are tied a bit. We are still unsure as to what happened before at his private univ.

Also, what's the best way to GET him here? He won't take our calls. I told DH to text him and say we're sending him a bus ticket and we'll worry about tomorrow when he gets here, but to please just get away from all of that and come home to those who love him.

We don't want him crashing in on the girls and the one's bf. It isn't a large place and it's not right for them to foot his bills. He's a 26 y.o. able bodied man who needs to get over his aversion of a little hard work. I mean, being supported by a bf who's parents think you aren't in the picture is no way to live!

Does anyone have any suggestions?

D

Comments (8)