SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hoosierquilt

List of Basic Mosaic Tools & Supplies

Okay, going out shopping today, to pick up some basic tools and supplies for my mosaic class coming up. I used to do some stained glass "back in the day", so I do have some experience, but never with mosaics. I really want to try to make one trip for the majority of my tools & supplies if possible (probably not realistic, but worth a try). I have a list from the instructor, but beyond pestering her with specifics (this would be my 4th email to her, I don't want her to think I'm an idiot or a stalker at this point), I am hoping this great forum can give me a little more specific guidance. Here's the list, and if you could add anything else that I might need to get started, and add some further explanation for some things (like size of containers, etc.), that sure would be helplful. I still have no idea if there is a stained glass/mosaic supply store here in my area (N. San Diego county, Calif.), so going to Lowe's/Home Depot to start with:

1. Glass nippers (I may still have my old stained glass nippers somewhere in the garage)
2. Glass cutter (who knows where that went)
3. Glass cutting oil
4. Putty knife (what kind, size, brand???)
5. Gloves (I assume just dishwashing gloves? Latex gloves? Something easy to work in)
6. Safety glasses
7. Container for grout (how big, plastic wash bucket okay, better to get a round one, a rectangular one??)
8. Bucket for water (5 gal okay or too big?)
9. Lintless cloths (what cloth is "lintless"??)

1. Grout sponge (size, are they actually special sponges sold as "grout sponges"??)
  2. "Adhesives" (seriously?? There are about a gazillion types of adhesives. This project will have water in it, should I buy a specific type of adhesive for a bird bath project? Are there 2 or 3 different types of adhesives that I should have on hand? Clear silicone adhesive, some other type??)

I think the glass tiles or glass will be provided, so don't need that, nor will I need to buy grout (I hope, as I have NO idea where to buy grout, color, kind, etc.) Anything else I need to get started? Maybe a large tool carrier to put everything in? Trying to get this stuff collected prior to class. We're going to make a bird bath from a 14" terra cotta saucer. Great first project. Then onto what I really want to make, which is a mosaic cover for our fire pit. Thank you everyone, I appreciate any help!! Such a great forum and so nice to have this for beginners :-)

Patty S.

This post was edited by hoosierquilt on Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 12:38

Comments (29)

Sponsored