SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mfbpa

Push and Squish, Oui

mfbpa
10 years ago

So I've been getting myself ready to start my wall.. I posted a new subject because I felt it was a good idea to start a thread on this.

So, I thought in true Betty spirit I would just "do it". LOL So I got out my plates, I decided to cut up a bunch of different things, might have been my first mistake. (Please comment). So I had thick and thin pieces of tess, plates, glass etc...
as I said, maybe my first, maybe my second mistake.... I proceed to mix my thin set, surprisingly, that went well. Then I started tacking down the pieces to a piece of mesh that had a plastic sheet under it, using a tiny bit of thin set. That went well until I realized I should not have mixed up so much mortar, so I decided to not let that dry and I jumped into slapping on the mortar to my base (I used a cinderblock as a sample) Then I picked up my mesh with all the pieces on it and pressed it down into the mortar.... That is when it started to go bad.The mortar came through the screen like it was supposed to but came through too much in some spots and not enough in others. I really thought I had put the mortar on evenly. And now I see I don't have enough mortar so I mix more, then the tess was all different heights, what was I thinking? magically it would even out? LOL
NOw, I'm getting mad... so I slap on mortar and kinda try to grout the whole thing. What a mess! LOL

Now I'm trying to wipe off excess mortar and mush stuff around with my finger which BTW, was inside a glove and I couldn't work (do you guys wear gloves for this?)

My husband calls me in the middle of it all and I took a picture.... see below #1, after a bit of mushing with finger... Then I decide to try to save it and start wiping with a wet paper towel..... #2 pic, So ultimately it's not horrific but not at all like I thought it would go. So, please jump in and give me some help, please. I want to try it one more time. Not sure if I should just do push and squish directly or what....

thanks! I hope you enjoy my mess!
mfbpa

http://s1256.photobucket.com/user/Jeri_Bellini/media/You%20Want%20me%20on%20this%20Wall/pushsquish1_zps0bac10c5.jpg.html?sort=2&o=8

http://s1256.photobucket.com/user/Jeri_Bellini/media/You%20Want%20me%20on%20this%20Wall/puahsquish2_zps9c4843d8.jpg.html?sort=2&o=9

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath