SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
manda_2006

Mom-in-law

manda_2006
17 years ago

Here's a brief overview of my family. Been married to DH for 16 months, we have custody of his daughter (age 8) from psycho relationship, my two children from previous marriage (6 & 5), and a baby together. DH works 12 hour shifts, 4 days on, 4 days off. Before we were married, SD would spend the 4 days DH worked at Grandma's. You can imagine the treatment she received there. She was treated better than a princess and since marrying, we've had to somewhat "de-program" her so there is no more "the world revolves around me" attitude. There are too many children here to treat anyone differently! So here is my predicament. We have greatly reduced the amount of time spent with Grandma significantly for the most part because we want to spend time with her, we want her to have stability, we want her to be here with her step and half sibling(s), etc. It wasn't healthy for her to flip flop around. However, we spend a lot of time with her. She comes to our house at least once, often even twice, a week just to hang out. With a couple of minor instances, this has gone well...for SD that is. Grandma was invited by SD (or so we thought) to every event. Weekly gymnastics classes, swim meets, school events, even things that are of little importance. When Grandma is there, DH and I are non-existant, of course. Grandma can't watch from the sidelines, she has to sit with her, hold her, talk to her about things she will get her, places she'll take her, etc. Even when the "other" children are with us, it's still special time with Grandma and SD. We have been extremely cautious with treating everyone equally. We discussed this with our families prior to being married and everyone agreed. DH and I have noticed some differences with Grandma. For "my" kids' birthdays, they received a big bag full of dollar store toys. It looked good at first, but the toys broke quickly, never worked, etc. For SD's birthday, she gets name-brand toys, name brand clothing, on and on. Everything is in excess. Grandma will call me and ask SD to spend the weekend with her while the two other children are with their dad. They don't get invited to her house, nor does the baby. We told SD not to invite Grandma to any more events without first checking with us in private. Last week, I was out of sight from the two of them, but heard the conversation. Grandma asked SD what was new and she replied that she had a swim meet that week. That was it. When I walked Grandma to the door, she said to me, "SD invited me to her swim meet and was asking me about it." No she wasn't, I was thinking, she stated a fact. So I don't think SD invited her to all these things, Grandma just showed up upon hearing about them. Now granted, she has attended things for the other two children and has in general been good to all of us, but even at the events of the other children, she is using for an excuse to see SD. She will sit and hold her and talk to her and pretty much not pay attention to the others. I understand that they have a special relationship and I respect that. However, I can't help but feel pangs of sadness when the other 3 children are excluded or not treated as well. How do we set limits for Grandma without hurting her? Everytime we've tried to talk to her, she's taken it as a personal attack. Anyone else have these issues or any advice??

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor