Thinking about not having a dinner

Chrissielou

Hi, we are slowly making plans for our upcoming wedding, we were thinking about an evening wedding (8pm) and we are wondering if our guests would be expecting supper at that time of night. We were thinking of having finger foods during the dance. Has anyone tired this before and how has their guests felt about it? Thanks

SaveComment10Like
Comments (10)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosiew

Chrissielou.

The guests will be there to celebrate with you. Bet they'd love the finger foods plus the cake.

Congrats. Relax, Enjoy.

Save    
aegis1000

I agree with Roslew ...

Save    
hilltop_gw

If we were invited to an 8pm wedding we would not be expecting a meal. If there is a dance following then definitely have finger foods to counter the effects of any potential alcohol.

Save    
gellchom

I don't know; I would probably at least a light supper even at an 8 pm wedding if the invitation didn't specify one way or the other, But -- that doesn't mean it would have to be a seated meal; finger foods would be fine, as long as they are substantial enough for people to feel fed. You don't want your guests to leave early because they didn't eat before they came.

Otherwise, I would make it a dessert reception and specify that in the invitation.

Save    
nancylouise5me

For an evening wedding guests would not be expecting a meal after the ceremony. The ceremony, pictures afterwards would make the timeline for a dinner impractical IMO. A variety of finger foods is a good idea. Wine and one signature drink offered should cover those that wish to drink. As well as non-alcohol beverages. Your wedding cake and cookies could be the dessert, with coffee and tea to drink. Maybe a champagne toast before you cut the cake. Congratulations and best wishes to you both. NancyLouise

Save    
sushipup1

Please do specify in your invitation, like Gellchom mentioned. Because people will be obtuse and not eat dinner first. Don't make any assumptions, because people will always make the wrong choices if it isn't spelled out for them. (And even then, you'll have a few.)

But yes, not having a dinner at that hour is perfectly fine.

Save    
jewelisfabulous

Agree with Sushi and Gellchom. Something like, "Join us after the ceremony at XYZ Lakeside Palace for a light hors d'oerves and champagne reception. " (or for wedding cake and coffee)

Save    
Josephine Perry

Agree. Finger food is fine as long as you specify it in the invitation. People could be expecting a dinner and might be surprised not to be served any.

Save    
mary_md7

One of the things to consider is that finger foods often cost as much as a meal. The reason is that there is a lot of labor involved in preparing all those individual little things. So you might want to get estimates for each and how they compare.

Save    
xarcady

Another thing to consider is how far/long people will be traveling to your wedding. If someone lives an hour away, they will probably leave home by 6:30, in order to get to the wedding site and find a parking space and get into the venue, plus a few minutes extra time in case of getting lost/construction/accident on the road. That means that they might be eating dinner at 5:00 or 5:30, and getting ready at 6 pm at the latest.

So by 9 pm, there's a good chance they might need more than cake, mints, and chips to keep them going. So substantial finger foods are a good idea, unless you want the guests to leave early in search of food.

I agree that for an 8 pm wedding, a meal isn't necessary afterwards. But I do think hosts have to take into consideration travel/prep time for their guests. If everyone's staying at the same resort and is just walking down the beach to the wedding, that's one thing. But if many of the guests are driving from home, they may be eating dinner pretty early in order to make the wedding on time.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Pets So You're Thinking About Getting a Dog
Prepare yourself for the realities of training, cost and the impact that lovable pooch might have on your house
Full Story
Architecture Design Workshop: Thinking Differently About Doors
Go beyond utilitarian openings to use doors as art, space definers and experience enhancers
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
Step into a Ferguson Showroom and you'll be surrounded by the latest styles in kitchen, bath and lighting design... Read More