SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
madhabitz

I've got balls!

madhabitz
16 years ago

Oh man, I haven't been able to get back to the forum for soooo long! Got the stomach flu, which knocked me for a loop and I've been stumping for work (it's a feast or famine kind of thing-- famine right now). I decided I needed a break, even though I know I shouldn't -- went ahead and finished up the cement balls I'd been working on. I also finally cast the horn I made a mold of several months ago and then a face from a mold I bought back in March. I am loving the balls, but am super excited about the horn. I want to do a whole series of them, both mosaic'd and with polymer clay.

I don't know why, but I have not been able to get my hands on a single bowling ball. I've asked pretty much everyone I've come in contact with, but I guess none of them bowl. I've asked at the bowling alley, but they turned me down flat-- said they only offer their old balls to their customers. Whatever. Learning how to work with cement has been a really good thing. I've been studying up on it for more than a year, so I suppose it was about time I quit jabbering about it and jumped in. I still have tons to learn, but just getting busy with it has helped a great deal towards understanding a little bit of how it works.

I am going to add one picture to this post, then you can find the rest of them in they gallery linked below-- I've added comments below each gallery picture. It's not exactly a tutorial, but I did try to explain my thoughts and process as I went along. I hope it makes sense-- please don't hesitate to ask questions.

To keep this on topic for this forum and just so you know-- these cement items are for me to use for mosaics. ;-)

{{gwi:2086933}}

Nancy

P.S. In case you are wondering, yes... the horn is broken. Read all about it in the gallery-- I'm not sad about it being broken, even though I wish this version had turned out. More than anything, I'm glad I survived the making of it. Oh man, you really had to be there at the time. Just know that the next one I have planned will be awesome!

Here is a link that might be useful: My Adventure into Cement

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County