SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cvette

The differentiating factors for window design and quality

cvette
15 years ago

Hello everyone. As Gardenweb always seems to be a great resource for a wide range of subjects I research, I've come to find the window forum as I research my home replacement windows.

I'm a mechanical engineer and always try to dig into specs and company build quality before I make a purchase. I did so for my riding lawn mower, furnace, etc and now I'm learning windows. Since I will be doing my own research, I'm not looking for manufacturer recommendations.

I was hoping I could gather the factors to which everyone might suggest I use to differentiate and compare manufacturers and product lines. What features signify quality and value? What features that, when found, signify a good design? What features would I expect to see on less expensive windows or on more expensive windows?

For example, vinyl window joints can be welded (better) or mechanically fastened. In case it matters, we're planning double hung, double pane windows and live in zone 5 (NY).

Here are the factors on my radar screen so far:

1) Efficiency factors: U factor, Solar Heat Gain, Visible Transmittance

2) Efficiency features: Low-E, argon filled, etc

3) Material: All wood, wood-clad(al), wood-clad(vinyl), composite/fiberglass, vinyl, etc

4) Spacer design and material: foam, stainless steel, aluminum. Does the air gap distance vary or matter?

5) Construction: finger-jointed versus ?

There must be others...any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (6)