SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aewhistory_gw

Looking to Restore Windows in Trenton, NJ

aewhistory
12 years ago

Howdy folks!

My wife and I live in a 1908 Queen Anne Victorian. It has approximately 40 or so windows. The vast majority are in very good shape and all are original (believe it or not) and they are also mostly 1 over 1s with a handful of 9/12 over 1s. I've read in magazines, and even on forums, that one can expect to pay around $300 per window to restore a typical 1 over 1 but I am having zero luck finding anything near that price.

I've gotten quotes from $600 to $1200 per window. Perhaps I simply misunderstand what people mean by a window, as ridiculous as that sounds. For instance, the contractor who quoted me $600 had originally said he thought my 1 over 1s would be around $300 each to restore. When I received his bid his prices worked out to essentially be charged per PANE. Maybe I am an idiot, but when I say window, I mean the the whole contraption in the frame, not, for instance, one pane of glass and its frame. However, this could be construed as each "window" costing around $300 since there are two literal windows in a double hung I suppose.

Anyway, my main concerns are this issue of definition above and then finding a reputable, trustworthy, and reasonably priced restoration professional in my area. I live in Trenton, NJ. How many windows and how quickly I move through doing them will be dependant largely on the price quoted. So if I was able to get a good price I would gladly give someone the entire job, but I don't know if my wife and I can afford to spend $25K minimum on on these windows right now.... so the prices we are being quoted definitely means we would have to move slowly (something I do NOT want to do if I can afford it since I have twins on the way and I would like to have any potential lead paint/hazard removed from these windows if at all possible).

Anyway, enough of my rambling. Any information would be helpful. Leads to window restorers, helping me figure out if my pricing expectations are correct, etc.

Thanks for any help,

Aaron

Comments (12)