SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flseadog

roller shades/no top treatment opinions needed

flseadog
13 years ago

We need to order some sort of window covering for our east and west facing windows. The views are good in each direction but the Florida sun really needs to be blocked in some way. My inclination is to get white inside mounted solar roller shades and just raise or lower them as the sun moves.

A few years back I saw roller shades with nothing over them in a Coastal Living magazine article (I think the house was at the Jersey shore) and I thought they looked fine when rolled up---sort of blended into the background. In fact, the house was decorated for Christmas and some of the windows had wreaths hung from ribbons that were looped over the rolled up shades. Probably in the northern climate light control was a non-issue.

Anyway, my sister who is very good with decorating issues thinks I'm nuts and that doing window shades in this way will look really cheap and shoddy. She's very nice about it, but I can read between the lines of what she's saying and that's the bottom line for her. If she's right I guess I could do something in the future to hide them when they are rolled up.

Have any of you used or seen roller shades used in this way with nothing over them? If you think it looks terrible how should I hide them? Is there any other way of dealing with this issue?

Thanks for the help.

Comments (17)