SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hobokenkitchen

Built up (thick) Granite/ Stone on Island. Anyone do this?

hobokenkitchen
12 years ago

My husband loves the look of a thick slab of stone on the island, so we have been looking at 5cm Carrara marble.

I like the durability of granite and quartzite and we have found some beautiful Super White quartzite slabs.

We have been discussing building up the edge on the quartzite to give us the thick marble slab look, but with the durability of the quartzite.

We have two issues though. One is that our island is long and one slab won't fit so we are considering using a piece of butcher block at one end of the island to avoid a stone seam (and because my husband loves the look).

I assume one's options are somewhat limited on edges on the butcher block piece and also assume that we want the butcher block and quartzite edge to somewhat match?

Also my husband prefers a simple edge, and most build ups I have seen tend to be much fancier than we are looking for... or you can see the seam along the edge.

Does anyone have any experience doing a build up? We have also been talking about a mitred edge - more expensive and has to be raised up, but eliminates the seam on the edge apparently.

Anyone done the mitred edge? Pros? Cons?

I found this pic of a laminated edge on granite - I think it's beautiful and maybe easier to match up this kind of edge with butcher block? This edge would be about 6cm and add a bit of height to the island. Is that ok?

Or there's the stacking, where about the simplest edge we could get away with would be something like this:

Despite being fancier looking, the second option is about half the price of the first as it's much easier to do, but what of the matching up to butcher block?

Or should we scrap the whole idea and do Super White perimeter counters, and Cararra marble 5cm on the island?

Thoughts?

Comments (7)