SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
molly_adams8725

rag rug (or other) directions?

Molly Adams
20 years ago

Seeking advice/directions for making small rugs from scrap/salvaged fabrics. Looking for any rug making info/links/ideas, actually. Thanks, Mol

Comments (74)

• outofmytree
    20 years ago

It's a mystery to me. I posted wood candles I made too and got a note to email. I'm an ebay seller so just maybe they think I'm promoting my sales here. It's ok, it didn't upset me. I'm a guest here and will abide.
    To answer your questions:
    3" wide strips--length is your call.
    I have knotted both ways, and knotted the tails.
    I start at the bottom and work up.
    I do mix fabrics.
    ( YOU COULD MAKE A SMALL "SAMPLE" SIZE TO GET THE HANG OF IT FIRST)
    And I cover the back ( hand sew) with a fabric I deem fit for a rug backing. It will hide all your work too and finish it up nice.
    Radd

• Ina Plassa_travis
    20 years ago

I have a bath mat I crocheted out of old pantyhose and tights- cut the hip and toe off, and left all the tag ends loose just for the heck of it...

I have used 1" wide strips of fabric instead of hook latch yarn on projects,

used the Rya knot to add a huge layer of earth-tone shag to one of those tackey crocheted shawls from the 70's- makes a great costume piece for halloween! that and a long dress, and I'm Mother Nature!

I've also found that you can use the latch-hook or crochet technique with that stay-put rug gris backing stuff- it's pretty sturdy : )

my grandmother used to use a hook on a burlap backing- but she also did petit point, which I jsut don't have the patience for...

and I cheat with my backings (which I only use for gifts- I use iron fusible web to hold the backing on in the center, and just stitch the edge where it meets the face for a neat appearance.

• Related Discussions

Craft of the Day~ Rag Rug

Q

Comments (5)
    Sue used to collect old clothing and cut it into strips about 4" wide, and old nylons and pantyhose that she cut into strips, rolled them, lay them along the middle of the clothing strips, then lifted the edges, turned the cut ends inside and sewed the cloth into a tube, with the pantyhose strips inside, that she then lay alongside other similar tubes and sewed them together into what became a rather large rug. It was rather difficult to arrange the adjustment as one went around the ends so that it lay flat and didn't bunch up. ole joyful
    ...See More

Two more Rag Quilts finished (pics)

Q

Comments (16)
    I tried pressing after washing then found out just folding selvage to salvage and kinda pressing with my hands worked just as well. I have noticed that the flannel stretches alot more when washed am thinking thats because I washed the sizing out. Last time I was at my LQS they have some nice Rag quilts and they didn,t wash first they did tell me to use a small stitch around the edge it helps with the raveling. The fabric coming this week is in 5yd pieces I really don,t want to try washing that. I,m learning as I go found out when I start washing the finished quilt I just run it through the rinse cycle twice without drying then run them through a complete cycle a couple of times drying in between I use no soap in the washer. Gillian.
    ...See More

Rag jacket

Q

Comments (5)
    Thanks Susie, but I will be sure to stop at Joann's next month and check it out. I did get a pattern for one, from a lady at a quilt store, but she wasn't wearing the jacket, so I didn't get to see it in "person". I made a quilted one and it is great and I get stopped all the time for it, they even try to buy it off my back! Kathy G in MI Oh yeah, my old phone number ended in 4798, I won't forget that pattern #, thanks so much.
    ...See More

any use for old ragged clothes?

Q

Comments (10)
    Jeans make good braided rugs, & I once saw the cutest placemats made out of braided denim strips. There's always somebody wanting to make a blue jean quilt, so you can put them on freecycle or let a quilting group know about them; these days, a lot of groups are making quilts for returning veterans, so you might try to find such a group. (I'd call the newspaper; somebody at the newspaper always knows about those kinds of projects!) I agree; old cotton clothes make the best rags! & check with charity & thrift shops; many of them have contracts or agreements with companies that re-cycle fabric.
    ...See More
  • lizzyanthus
    20 years ago

Hi Radd...These rugs of your's are just what I have spent hours looking for without much luck as far as good detailed instructions are concerned. They are beautiful. I would like to email you for info if it won't be too much trouble. Thanks in advance. You have made my day!!!

• Pieonear
    20 years ago

Radd, the rugs are beautiful!

Bren, I'm a big ol dummy too. LOL

• Elliejo
    20 years ago

Beautiful rugs. My question is what kind of yarn do you use for the basic rug. Do you use macrame cord or regular rug yarn for the basic rug?

Elliejo

• outofmytree
    20 years ago

Elliejo::::: Yes I use just regular yarn-any colors will do as they get covered up any way and not seen when the rug is complete.

Let me know how all your rug projects turn out. Feel free to e mail me for complete details.
    Radd

• buzzard
    20 years ago

I made one of these "rag rugs" several years ago. I used latch hook backing and a latch hook. I cut my strips 1" wide by 5" long and filled in each square by pulling the ends thru the loop. My rug took 60+ yards of fabric.
    I love the idea of crocheting the backing and might have to make another one of these.

{{!gwi}}

• User
    20 years ago

This is my version of RADD's rag rug. It was made entirely from materials in my stash of scrap flannels and denim. Instead of yarn for a base I crocheted strips of old t-shirt material. The rug is 24 x 40 inches.

Here is a link that might be useful: flannel and denim rag rug

• CraftingMomma
    20 years ago

Grannytoo,

I can't see the pic ... it won't let me into your album.

Joyce

• User
    20 years ago

Sorry about that. I'll try again with Shutterfly.

Here is a link that might be useful: trying again - rag rug

• kacram
    20 years ago

Hi Grannytoo! that won't work either! lol

• User
    20 years ago

Hi Kat. See, I am still 'puter illiterate. No changes here. lol Well heck, I hope third time is charm.

Here is a link that might be useful: gosh I hope this works

• outofmytree
    20 years ago

Hi again!
    Thanks all for the great emails. Sure is fun to "meet" all of you. I'd love to see your rug GRANNYTOO. I can't get it to show. Can you email me a pic?

And BUZZARD-----That is a beauty. I love the colors. Great job. The perfect setting for it.

Talk to you all real soon. Email anytime.........Radd

• cherylnsw
    20 years ago

Hi, I usually lurk here, didn't realise as a member of GW I could post messages here, I'm not a subscribing member - yet.

Radd, I love those rag rugs. I've been wanting to make one ever since I saw one in a magazine. It was gorgeous, made all in one colour, cream. I was going to use cheap unbleached Calico. Since I've had kid's I have rethought the cream LOL, have had 2 cream rugs ..... never again. I had thought about crocheting the base but wasn't sure about what to use. Do you tear or cut the fabric? I had thought about tearing, the frayed edges would probably add to the look.

Grannytoo, I can't see your picture either, I think the problem may be that you've sent the link to your personal update page not one for public veiwing. Could you please let us know what name the picture is under, we could search for that.

• User
    20 years ago

Hi Cheryl, try this link.

Here is a link that might be useful: rag rugs

• Molly Adams
    Original Author
    20 years ago

especially love that second rug!! hints, please? molly

• CraftingMomma
    20 years ago

Grannytoo ... it was worth the wait! Your rug is awesome. Great recycling idea to use the old Tshirts too ... how did you attach the strips of material to the Tshirt backing? With a hook like a typical hooked rug? Or do you use a crochet hook?

Thanks for taking the time to get a pic up for us all to look at.

Joyce

• User
    20 years ago

I use a tool for hooked rugs. I would guess that a crochet hook would work also. I'm now on my third rug. A friend stopped by last week and loved the one I'd just finished so now it has a new home. It was an oval rug with the same colors as the one in the picture.

I buy bags of used clothing at a senior center thrift store for $1 each. Most of the items have stains, tears etc making the items unsaleable (is that a word) but perfect for making rugs.

• kitticruiser
    20 years ago

Ok, I need specific directions. How long are your strips? I have been doing 5" strips and they seem to long, but I have only started so maybe with them all on the foundation it will look better. Any more specific insturctions would be greatly appreciated.

kitti

• outofmytree
    20 years ago

Grannytoo and Hi to all,
    WOW! Great rug. Looks fantabulas. Yes I too use whatever I can get for fabric. I do like something with a bit of a stretch to it so it has that wild look.
    Thanks for sharing. Radd

• bulldinkie
    20 years ago

I made a big oval rug I got all materials bought a huge crochet hoo and crocheted it.It was a job but cute.

• User
    20 years ago

I cut the strips 7 inches long which results in about 3 inches after they're pulled through the backing and tied.

• Carolina_pig
    20 years ago

Do you tie a knot (tying it twice) . . . like you'd be tying your shoestring into a knot?? Or do you just tie it one time?

Carolina . . . who doesn't know the names of knots!!

• User
    20 years ago

I use one of the latch hook rug tools. I double the strip, reach through the loop on the backing and catch the center of the strip, pull it through the loop, then pull the strips through the center part. Not sure I'm explaining it right. I'll try to take pics of the process later this evening and post them.

• Carolina_pig
    20 years ago

Ohhhhhhhhh . . . I gotcha! Thanks!

Carolina

• cheermyselfup
    20 years ago

I have been at this computer for 8 hours trying to find instructions for dumb ol me and this is what I got, from a professional who answers questions for free. I expected a partial answer or atleast spotty any way. Not here.

HERE YOU GO----
    Hi Norma,

It is really simple to make the shag rugs. There are soooooo many tutorials out there to help you with visual steps on how to make the loop stitch, then it it just cut to make the shag look.

Here is simple instructions on how to do the loop stitch:

Begin with foundation chain the required length using an number of stitches plus 1 chain.

Row 1) Sc in 2nd ch from hook, sc to end of row. Ch 1 and turn.

Row 2) Sk first st. Repeat the following procedure to end of row. *insert hook in next st, to determine length of loop, place yarn around middle finger of left hand. Draw yarn through stitch, put yarn over hook and pull through 2 loops. Slip long loop off finger. Continue keeping loops the same size*. Chain 1 and turn.

Row 3) Skip fist st, 1 sc in each stitch to end of row. Ch 1 and turn.

Repeat row 2 and 3 until work is completed.

In order to get the round or oval shape, you would just crochet the shape you want in single crochets and do every other row in the loop stitch until desired size is accomplished.

To determine the conversion from yard to pounds..just remember it takes 4 yards of flat fold to make one pound of fabric.

Just do the loop stitch, then cut the loops to make it the shaggy look with any size or shape.

I also have a very dear friend that has a wonderful video that helps bunches if you would like to contact her at:
    www.ruglady.net. Please tell her that I sent you, ok??

I use a P or Q hook to do my shag rugs.

If you are interested, I have a rag crochet group that you might enjoy being a part of. If you would like to join, just go to:

http://groups.*****.com/group/RugCrocheter/

we have a large group of ladies that love to share and help, so we would be happy to have you join

• nadastimer
    20 years ago

Don't know if this helps anyone but I bought a denim rag rug at Wal-Mart last night to go in our bedroom (I have Americana/country stuff with a quilt that has a few denim patches in it). The rugs were marked down from around $9 to $3! I decided to get it. DS wants one now and I think by the time I get there they should be down to $1. Can't beat that price! They had some funky colors, also in chartreuse and magenta.

• clm27
    20 years ago

I just love Radd's rugs. I cant crochet, have bad arthritis
    but try to keep active so my hands stay mobile, can I use a
    bought backing? and if so what can I use? Thanks Nan

• User
    20 years ago

Nan, I would think you could use the base material that is for latch hook rugs.

• koffeekupz
    20 years ago

gee, your rugs are all awesome and the ideas for making them would have never crossed my mind. all i do is simply take a heavy (denim or the like) backing, cut my strips as long as the fabric remnants are at about a 2"-3" width and sew them onto the backing on my machine. i fold the strips for a bit of a pucker as i go along, and just keep sewing untill i run out of strips. i sew the strips right down the middle, through a pucker i make into it and then the next strip is sewn as close to the first one as possible (fluff up the edges and make your sewn lines as close to each other as possible) they make awesome rugs and last for too many years to count. you will be tired of it before it ever wears out.

• User
    20 years ago

KoffeeKupz your rugs sound neat. Do you happen to have a picture of a completed rug? I just washed some crocheted rugs today. They were made from strips of old blue jeans sewn together into long strips. I made them over ten years ago and they still look great.

• koffeekupz
    20 years ago

no pictures of them ..... but I am working on one right now to go with my totally rag quilt squares I am working on at this moment as well.
    When I get this rug done I will try to post a picture of it. (if I can find something strong enough to hold it up, its made entirely of fortrel so it is going to weigh a TON LOL )

• User
    20 years ago

I know what you mean about the weight of the rugs. My crocheted denim rug is really heavy also. I have an old one that I use on the back porch and even with almost gale force winds it stays put.

• outofmytree
    20 years ago

Hi again all,
    Have my new page up. Just click on the RAG RUG link to view some others I have made.
    Happy Rugging!
    Radd

• outofmytree
    20 years ago

opppppppppssssssss,
    sorry, left out a .com so try this link below.

Radd

• Molly Adams
    Original Author
    20 years ago

link not workin for me-help!

• BDnBAMA
    20 years ago

Radd's Rugs Album ......Nice!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Radd's Rugs Album

• cherylm
    20 years ago

hey, maybe it got lost in the shuffle, but i did see an idea for an easy backing- that mesh stuff you put under throw rugs to keep them from sliding around! cream color, sort of rubber coated, 1/2 inch mesh. works good to keep your chair cushions from sliding around, too.

• outofmytree
    20 years ago

BDNBAMA thanks for the link help. I appreciate it. That was very nice of you.
    I heard you can use the netted bags that produce comes in for a backing. Like oranges, onions and the such. Any one ever try it?
    Radd

• alialiali
    20 years ago

Hi there! I have been using a loom for my rag rugs. The edges are looped around a dowel, and the finished rug has loops all the way down the side. Like those old potholders we used to make... how should I finish the edges?? They look wrong..

• WUVIE
    20 years ago

How in the world I've never seen this section of
    Gardenweb, I'll never know. Wowzers!

I LOVE rag rugs!

The funny thing is, I've purchased books, books, and more books, even as recently as last week having ordered two more books from Amazon.com.

I've got enough rags and old clothes to keep all of us
    busy for the rest of our lives, crochet hooks, videos, toothbrush rag rug kits, crochet kits, you name it.

But why can't I make myself sit down and make one??

I've got rug canvas, burlap, denim and so much more for backing. I even bought a rotary cutter, pad and a fabric stripper. I've searched the internet for looms, and quite frankly am obsessed with rag rug making, but yet I've not made one.

Am I nuts or just afraid to commit, knowing I'll fall head in heels in love with making them and thus ignoring all my other hobbies?

Does anyone else do this?
    Buy all the materials you need, admire everyone's work,
    know you can make the same and never do it?
    What is wrong with me? :-(

Sigh. I'll just keeping oohing and ahhing over your works of art. Nice!

• Molly Adams
    Original Author
    20 years ago

wuvie-go to this forum and read "i give up". It will help, i think! and remember, you are not alone! lol, hugs, mol

Here is a link that might be useful: i give up

• Lbjnflower
    20 years ago

radd i would love to have your instruction on the rag rugs or any one else that may have them thanks belinda
    lrjnf@aol.com

• goofyj
    20 years ago

Wuvie, I sometimes do similar things when I get tooooo many ideas and can't decide which to do!
    Joyce

• still_undecided04
    19 years ago

Hey Ladies and Gentelmen if there are any... I have been looking for rag rug direstions and I cant find any... The link Radd poasted isnt working for me, if anyone has any advice on how to make a rag rug, please help.

Jennifer

• CandyWA
    19 years ago

Jennifer... I don't know how people make them these days but several years ago when I made mine I just cut 2" wide strips of fabric. The same fabric I used in a quilt so that the rug would match it. Trying to keep the good side of the fabric showing, I simply crochet the strips into an oval shape. I used a huge plastic hook. I'm a stickler for neatness so I sewed the strips all together rather than adding a new strip just before the end of a current strip. The edge of the rug was already finished looking, but in keeping with the girly design of the room my granddaughter stayed in when she visited, I crochet a scalloped edge around it. I then weaved a 4" strip of complimentary fabric through the last straight row (before the scallops began) and tied a bow.

Because the hook is so large I think the entire rug only took two days to complete... obviously not working on it full time :) Just lettin' Wuvy know it's a relatively quick project!

• nanatink
    19 years ago

Is there a size limit to these? They're gorgeous rugs, but most look relatively small. Is there a reason they're kept smaller? I'm thinking weight on the backing maybe?

• thunderrose
    19 years ago

One way that you can obtain "yarn" for your rugs is to buy old wool sweaters and wash them in really hot water with a good amount of detergent and strong agiatation. In other words, ruin them! This will felt the wool and it can then be cut into strips that will not unravel. The wool gets really thick when it felts.
    For the best felting, it should be 100% wool. The best sweaters to use for this are the finer guage ones. Avoid the ones with a lot of yarn changes, the ones that have designs embroidered into them or knit into the rows.
    I use these old sweaters to crochet rugs. I have one rug that is all cashmere wool!
    I crochet them in continuous rounds and place a stitch only through the upper yarn on the previous stitch. Usually, when you crochet, you put the hook under the two threads. I only use the top one. The result is a stitch that has the appearance of a braided stitch.
    I call them a "East Texas Spiral" rug because I learned to crochet rugs from my old family members. I also make them from any and all old clothes and sewing scraps. I have made a few of them from denim, but it is very heavy and is a workout to wrestle with.
    Cutting woven fabric stips on the bias will help them not to fray. Usually, though, I just render the old garment into strips in any direction that will yield a strip.
    Instead of sewing the strips together, I use a cutting method where I cut the strip just to about one inch of the end. I, then, turn the piece around and cut down the other direction for the next strip, thus, leaving a small square of fabric that holds them into one long strip. I used to sew the strips together and it took forever! The little square hinge is just incorporated into the crochet and there is no bulk of seam allowances or double thickness.
    The felted sweaters are cut up using the same method as the woven fabrics. I find that cutting along the directions that the rows of knitting are running is best, as opposed to cutting across the rows of knitting. But, really, once it is felted, it is pretty sturdy.
    You can also use wool worsted woven to make rugs. Wool is really durable! I have several made from cut up wool pants and discared wool garments.
    The only thing is that sometimes the felted wool is so pretty that it is a shame to cut it up!

When I cut up the old felted sweaters, I save the seam allowances that I cut off. They look a little like noodles. It takes a lot of cutting up old sweaters to get a basketfull of them, but they are just too good to throw away! They are all wool!
    The rugs made by RAdd would be a good use for these "noodles". I have a basket of wool noodles by now. Maybe I will try Radd's method of rugmaking with the noodles.

• shwetagarg
    17 years ago

outofmytree wht is ur email id as i wud love to have instructions
    mine is
    shwetz27@yahoo.com
    thanks

• Bretthall100
    9 years ago

I think you may search here for the best rug. Thanks.

+1 (212) 219-2315
    +1 (212) 219-2316

Email: carpetculture@aol.com
    Email: info@carpet-culture.com
    âÂÂEmail: carpetculturerugs@gmail.com

Sponsored