SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sjh53

Keeping paneling; What color to paint trim?

10 years ago

In the mid 60s when I was a teenager, my dad converted a chicken house on our farm into stables, and had one end made into a large lounge area, about 25' x 12', complete with vertical wood paneling on the walls- the sheets, not tongue and groove. The ceiling is peaked, with a wooden beam at the highest point.

After I finished college and married, he extended and converted the lounge into a one bedroom apartment. The apartment was recently damaged by leaking pipes, so I am in charge of overseeing the repairs. The kitchen will be totally updated, but the dilemma is what to do with the original lounge area. It is the oldest part of the apartment, but insurance is not covering any updates to that area.

One wall has the paneling all the way to the peaked ceiling, while the opposite wall is sheet rock to the ceiling, and opens to the kitchen and bedroom. The two side walls are paneling, and one has a built in bench and two sets of built in shelving above, all stained wood. The built ins are scratched from years of tenant use, as is the window trim, baseboards, and door trim.

I was considering painting all the paneling, but am not sure that is worth doing in a rental apartment, and besides, I don't hate the look of it. So, if I keep the paneling in its original sate, what would be some options as to updating the trim? Would it look odd to paint the top of the built in bench and shelving and window and door trim an off white?

What color would work for the one sheet rock wall?

Thanks for your input!

Comments (4)