SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nicethyme

wip auction table

nicethyme
17 years ago

well... it was a 6 hour mosaic marathon and I think it looks wonderful! used nearly every bit of glass that I had prepared too. It was a core group of 4 including myself but at one time we may have had as many as 7. The school was holding a "family fun night" so moms came and went back and forth. We also had alot of "pop ins" just to see, the response was very good!

started with the border just to get some glueing underway while I figured out the placement of the animals...

{{!gwi}}

once all the animals and name tags were glued down I started marking out areas and set a type of glass in it and everyone jumped right on filling up the background...

here's the homestretch!

{{!gwi}}

finished and ready for grout

{{!gwi}}

Comments (59)

• ladyronnie
    17 years ago

I'm praying it goes into thousands$$$!!!
    I called my husband over to look at it. Amazing piece of work! (Well, I meant the table, but HE is too :)

• texaswild
    17 years ago

Well, NICE - you did it. That is a fantabulous piece of art work, child. You are quite the little artist. You should be teaching this. When you starting classes in your community?! This is so impressive, I'm speechless. You were so fast w/it too. Bless your heart for a gigantic job so very well done. Well, now what are you doing for an encore?!

• Related Discussions

WIP tiled table top

Q

Comments (13)
    I changed the wavy part. LOL I didnt even think about it when I was placing and glueing them. Here's the new pic of the small tiles glued and the outside painted. I lost the wavyness (is that a word) in the process. I kind of wish I had not done that. LOL Deb
    ...See More

Coffe table-WIP

Q

Comments (7)
    Thanks guys. I truly am loving looking at these when I get up in the mornings. Oh Slow you make me laugh!! But no my back needed a break last night. I have also decided we need matching end tables (might as well make it complete). So I'm headed to town today to see what I can find. Here I go again, but they shouldn't take too long and that's only if I can find some. I also need some more glass. I have to order mine so it will be a week before I can even start on the tables or headboard. So I will have to come up with someting else til my glass gets here. Maybe pots for the deck. Not sure yet.
    ...See More

Table WIP

Q

Comments (6)
    Brilliant! While some planning is necessary just to get going, there's nothing like sudden inspiration that can really make a piece unique - great idea for the web. Can't wait to see more, Anne
    ...See More

Table WIP.....just starting out

Q

Comments (15)
    Thanks mermaid....I am having a wonderful time throwing myself into this project, and it is a great therapy for me, more than I ever imagined actually. I have cut all my pieces that need to be cut, decided on the remaining layout for the table, and am ready to start gluing to mesh....but new problem: My new drafting table (which my DH found at the curb) is awesome, however I have just discovered that it has a lump in the middle, which will interfere with gluing the large piece down flat. Soooo, I need to get a very large board or something for underneath this project, since it takes up the whole table. I'll post pics when it is underway again. Judy
    ...See More
  • squirrellycanadian
    17 years ago

WOW! That is awesome! It must have been hard having all those people helping you, we are so used to working alone. I think I'd be stressed out with all those people touching my glass! Such patience you have! It's too bad it can't stay in the school, the kids would love that!
    An incredible undertaking.....I'm so impressed!

• tasymo
    17 years ago

My hat is off to you, Nicethyme!! I think I would have gone NUTS allowing a bunch of novices touch that masterpiece! They did a fine job, but only because you planned it out so perfectly. The most important thing you did though, was staying so true to the original drawings that those kids did. What a great boost to their budding self-confidence! I really hope who ever wins that beautiful table donates it back to the school so those students can look at it everyday.

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    17 years ago

It's amazing! You did good, Nice! Inspirational Mosaicer of the Year is what you are in my book. To have undertaken such a project, involved so many people, shared it with all of us... Never underestimate yourself. You are truly a special person!

• haziemoon
    17 years ago

Nice that is just amazing! You really out did yourself on this one. It just melts my heart! Really something special,
    you and the table!

Hazie

• seaglassic
    17 years ago

that is absolutely precious and beautiful.
    it's going to be hard to let go of it but having the history in it's pictures will help a lot.

I'm just amazed at what's possible with the imagination and planning that went into this and I still stand behind my idea that this is mosaic book instruction material.
    I sure hope you consider it.
    one thing I gotta ask...how long did your back ache, after each session sitting there, working on it?

it hurts mine, just to see this project unfold!

Becky .(*_*).

• crackpotannie
    17 years ago

I ditto what everone else says..I would have had a hard time letting other hands touch it..thats one of my faults.I need to take a lesson from you on that..It should bring thousands ....Good luck! Did you cut the animals yourself?Excellent job you should be proud..Annie

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh you all are so wonderful to come home to! LOL and I am SOOOO sorry to say this, I forgot to take my camara with me today. I'll get shots tomorrow because I need to go over it with the knife steel and file a few pieces... I really am sorry because - IT CAME OUT SO NICE!!!! LOL

I've been grouting and cleaning since 10 am this morning... it's now past 7. Ya know, I am just not that perfectionist with things I do for myself but here I am with a dental pick going over everything picking at the pieces...

I didn't go with black afterall. I kept looking at the picture on here last night and this morning and realized that it may get too dark looking with black so I made that brown tone like what I used on my bathroom door. The teacher helped me from 10 - 4 when her son just couldn't take anymore! and I know she felt bad leaving but I'm so use to doing this be myself anyway it was no problem. I was actually smart about the edge this time and held off doing it until the clean up was done so I didn't break out pieces and make myself crazy, just saved the last of the grout in a zip lock in the fridge and sat at the end and sculpted the edge last. Got to remember to do it that way from now on, saved me alot of headache...

hey look I'm writing a book anyways! lol and yes backs are aching. I promise pics tomorrow!

• d3bbi
    17 years ago

Nicethyme, you have just done a WONDERFUL job! What a piece of art!

I hope you don't mind a suggestion but it would be so nice for each child to have a nice photo of this finished piece of art. It would be so nice to put their original picture in a frame with the picture of the finished piece. Another parent could do this for the kids, you've done enough. And, of course, you need an 8X10 or larger for yourself.

I repeat my first thought when you started this, I hope someone buys this and donates it back to the school.

I helped my cousin do 3 mosaics with her grandson's fifth grade class just 2 months ago. Our items were primitive at best compared to this and they brought in over $2000. each. So I hope your's brings $10,000!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    17 years ago

D3bbi, that is an excellent idea! thankyou for the suggestion. I've got all the drawings right here too.

ooooooh could you imagine? Someone once painted a picnic table for my other DD's class project, I'm fairly sure it has the record at 3200.00, it was amazing work.

• texaswild
    17 years ago

OHMYGOODNESS - if a painted table brings that much, just THINK of how much this piece w/bring. I'm so excited for you. When is the auction? Sooooo anxious to know what it goes for, and bless that child's heart w/the piggy bank. I do hope whoever gets it donates it back to the school. I know you must be bursting w/pride in having a part of something so awesome. 'bet your DH and daughter are also proud of you.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I really am very proud of this table... the sin of pride huh? Dh came in there tonight and even said it looked good so you know if it meets his standard - I done allright! lol

The auction is the night of the 28th, so that's next sat not this coming sat. and yep I'll be there because this is one of my 2 yearly dates with Dh. That will give plenty of time for it to be viewed by everyone and get them thinking of what they'll lay out for it! lol

Ohhhh, ya know when I logged in tonight I quickly skimmed this thread, being more focused on what I wanted to say... Now I've really read what you wonderful ladies have written and I have to say... you guys bring me to tears, really! you all inspire and teach freely what you discover and share such wonderful and interesting things on this forum. when I think that I had a book on mosaicing for soooo many years saying one day I will try that... your works (all you'all) are what finally gave me the umphf I needed to take the plunge. Thankyou thankyou thankyou

• cacbeary
    17 years ago

Can't wait to see it grouted. It is beautiful. I'm sure that table will take a place of honor as getting the biggest donation & talked about for years to come. Great job!

• Shades_of_idaho
    17 years ago

oh Nicethyme you are forgiven tonight for forgetting your camera because we are sure you are very tired. Just don't do it again.:^)))

Your table is so wonderful I had to come back and look at it again. I think a small album of the pictures would be a nice touch for the buyer. Even if the pictures could be scanned and made smaller to save on printing.

I know the dental pick well. I was about to put mine away and then decided to leave it out until I get the other table and my lady grouted. Soon . I will be doing them soon as I get the book work done.

Chris

• klinger
    17 years ago

I love this project, and know it took a lot of planning and preperation on your part to make it come aout as well as it did. Good job! I look forward to the grouted pics. Hope it sells for a ton of cash ,
    Cindy

• texaswild
    17 years ago

Bless your heart. I know what you mean about this forum and it's inspiration, and the generosity of sharing the wealth of knowledge and experience. It's a wonderful place. Sin of pride - NO - you SHOULD be proud of this wonderful thing you've done. Sooooo glad DH approves. I'm even gladder that your creativity has been unleashed in mosaics. You'll go far w/it, my child. You're in baby steps, and look what you've done already. Geeesh - wish I had a thimble-full of your talent and creativity and, yeah, give me back a little of my youth. I'm sure you have plans to record this project. We anxiously await the 28th.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Are ya ready? TA DAAAAAA!!!!! whew lol

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• chickeemama
    17 years ago

Oh Nice, I am speechless. That has turned out so great...the grout color is awesome. The whole table is priceless. Can't wait till next saturday to see how it sells. I can't believe how creative you are...you ROCK!!!

You took wonderful pi ctures. I just LOVE IT!!

chickeemama

• silvamae
    17 years ago

I teared up when I saw the final product. That is ab-so-lute-ly wonderful! How precious - it just captures the innocence and wonder of our little children and how they view the world. Wow, good job! Amazing.

• texaswild
    17 years ago

Speechless doesn't even come close. I have no words to describe my admiration for this table. The grout is absolutely PERFECT - shows EVERYTHING up sooooo well. What color was it? CHICKEE said it - it's priceless. This is your masterpiece! Congratulations for pulling off a project of this gigantic measure. I am in total awe of your talent.

• haziemoon
    17 years ago

Oh Wow!!!!!!!! Nice it is just unreal!!!
    Wow!!! don't know what to say! in awe!
    If one of my kids animals was on that table,
    we'd be going broke, while I bid on that beauty!
    All I can say is WOW!!!!

Hazie

• toomuchglass
    17 years ago

I'm speechless . It's just awesome .

• tasymo
    17 years ago

Nicethyme!!! That table TOTALLY ROCKS!! How on earth did you make something so delightfully whimsical look so dad burn CLASSY!?! I can't wait to hear how much it goes for!! Girl, you are somethin' else!

• shrty411
    17 years ago

It's so amazing!!!!!!!! That could go in any art gallery. It's magnificent, wonderful,beautiful, fabulous...ok I'm running out of adjectives

BIG pat on your back!!!

Maria

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    17 years ago

you guys blow me away, I'm truely honored.

Tasy, I think that "Slowmedown border" was the key!

Slow, I mixed what I had left of white grout with black grout and some brown colorant - cool huh! LOL risky experimental accident as I would not have been able to make more if I tried.

Silvamae, I am really touched. Thank you

I'm so honored by all you all's compliments, truely.

Everyone involved should be proud, it looks wonderful and couldn't be better if I'd done it all myself. I hear talk of some mommys discussing their first solo project! You were right Slow.

• lyndalu
    17 years ago

As I was looking at the latest pictures, I just kept saying "oh wow....oh wow....oh wow...." Like so many others have said, I'm practically speechless. It is absolutely fabulous. Congratulations. You've got to be feeling VERY content and satisfied. How wonderful.

• d3bbi
    17 years ago

Nice, that table is just AWESOME!!! What an outstanding project!!! Certainly you have made those children proud. I can't say enough of the right words. You are extremely talented and need to be soooooooo proud!!!

• ladyronnie
    17 years ago

Nice, just plain old wowzer dittos to the above! So, I'm curious, how hard will it be to part with? I would have a REALLY hard time letting that go!

• nanatricia
    17 years ago

WOW!!!!!! there is just no words every one said it all .

• cacbeary
    17 years ago

I couldn't wait to see the table grouted. I can't say anything more than what's already been done. A project of love. I would have had a hard time letting other people work on the table after all the work you put in on the animals but everyone did a great job but especially YOU!

• chris2u
    17 years ago

EXTREMELY impressive. From the conception to the "finished" pictures, I know everyone here has looked forward to watching your mosaic progress. I'd just love to see you get futher recognition for this amazing piece. I feel like standing up and applauding. Thank-you for sharing.

Chris

• glasshappy
    17 years ago

Nice,
    Your table is just outstanding. I am totally in awe of your talent and ambition. That table will be a part of those children for as long as they live. I hope that it will be in a place where they can take their families and brag about their 'Picture". You have no idea the sense of pride they will have to see their work in the final project. You have given a gift that will last forever. Good for you!!

• crackpotannie
    17 years ago

Nice,I can't say anymore than what others have said...truly a work of art....wish I could be a little mouse at the auction!Annie

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    17 years ago

ya know, you guys just bowl me over! I think the best recognition I could have is from this crowd right here beacuse you know how this is done and what it takes.

I'm going to write a little story about each animal magically turning to glass... each one personalized like - Breda's tiger woke up to find her wish came true...
    Then include her drawing and a picture of the table.

Is it hard to give it up? yes and no. First of course the fact that I have no space for it. But I also think, hey I can do anything for myself - it's like owning the factory that can make one! lol And there is the matter of since I had so many helpers, I didn't go all out on the background like I could have. So I know I could do better without the contraints of time and ... volunteers lol Don't get me wrong, I really appreciated all of the help, enjoyed sharing this art with others and that really made this special. But me alone... let's just say I was really jones'n for some brass keys and agates and... lol

The response from everyone who's seen it, is overwhelming. Next week it will leave the Prek building and move to the main lobby for pre auction viewing. Since this is a small private school, alot of parents pick up and drop off their kids and will see it. I feel very excited about that... like it's showing in a gallery or something! LOL

• d3bbi
    17 years ago

Nice, your books idea sounds so cute! I used to teach kindergarten (and first and second grade) so I just can't express how I feel that you have honored those children by taking their crayon art and transformed it into a permanent museum quality of piece of art. And by the way, those are quite talented children. I have never seen that many 4 year olds that could draw that well.

And where do you get all your energy? Can't believe you can write a book now? Whew!

• texaswild
    17 years ago

Thar she goes - now a BOOK! Yep - start looking for a publisher. This is going somewhere, girlie. WHAT a girl. Yippppeeee.

• bamasusanna
    17 years ago

Sounds like a Hallmark movie too!!!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    17 years ago

quick update, I came home today to a message from the teacher - just thrilled with the little story I wrote up for each child, couldn't believe I went to the trouble and how cute it was. Let me tell Prek teachers know how to appreciate ya! lol

It's now been sealed with aqua grout sealer and 5 days left till auction night! heeee heeeeee

• shrty411
    17 years ago

I think we're all excited for you!! This is a GREAT project!!

Maria

• texaswild
    17 years ago

Soooooooo exciting. That WAS a very good thing for you to do on the stories. Those children w/remember this venture all their lives. Just THINK how many mosaicists you may have inspired.

• hrsg
    17 years ago

This table is one of the most gorgeous mosaics I have ever seen!

The colors of the glass look fantastic with the dark wood!

There is no doubt this will bring a goodly amount to the auction! I know I would bid on it!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    17 years ago

2 days left... I'm so freaked out. The table is now on display in the school's main lobby, it's soooo cool! hee heeee

Dh's office is just off the lobby and he said it was an amazing ruckus as everyone there oggled the table! lol I went in to look at it tonight when I delivered a tree for the auction (other DD's class is doing a money tree, a big one!)

2 more days!!!! aaahhhhh

• chickeemama
    17 years ago

we'll be right there with ya in our hearts nice!!! Can't wait!!

• texaswild
    17 years ago

I can feel your excitement - the whole forum is waiting for this wonderful event.

• squirrellycanadian
    17 years ago

OMG! This is sooo exciting!

• shrty411
    17 years ago

We're so excited for you!! This is going to go for big $$$s

Maria

• mosaicwench1
    17 years ago

Bumping to show what a $5000 table looks like!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    17 years ago

LOL! thanks wench. I think I'm in shock

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    17 years ago

to whom it may concern, if you would like to see how this project started here is the link to the starting point

Here is a link that might be useful: auction table, beginning

Sponsored