SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mom_of_4

what kids learn that we dont even realize they are learning

mom_of_4
15 years ago

I didnt want to get off topic in the "Second Marriages and The Kids money" thread so I decided to start another one. In that thread is what brought up what kids learn from watching their parents and it reminded me of a story with my Ssons.

Probably about a month or so ago now I went to get the tires changed on my car. My oldest ss wanted to ride with me so I said sure. On the way to the tire place my ss asked me where we were going. I told him we were going to get the tires changed on the car. He told me (and I still can not believe he said this but) "Well, it's a good thing you brought me so that you have a man to help you with that" Now mind you this is my ten year old ss. After I got done choking I told him ... "Yeah, I am glad that you wanted to come with me and all but I do not need a man to do anything for me. I am perfectly capable of doing it by myself" His response was his usualy "Well that's true" Which is his standard response for just about everything. When I got home I told DH what he said... I was like how in the world did he get an idea like that in his head. DH said "I dont know probably because his mother calls crying everytime she has a flat tire or well anything and wants someone to come to her rescue and do it for her." I still couldnt believe it... I told DH this is unacceptable... So, I made the boys the next weekend come outside with me while I fixed the brakes on my car. I can not be raising "men" that think women can't take care of themselves.

Anyways, it made me think of what kids pick up on and you dont even realize they are picking up on it and learning from it. And, you never quite know what lesson they are getting when you arent paying attention.

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living