SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
canicci

How much to invest in a house remodel?

canicci
13 years ago

DH and I have been thinking about what to do with the house. We could do a major reworking - moving kitchen and dining room to other rooms, adding on a 3rd bedroom etc. We could also do a remodel on a smaller scale that means no moving of rooms and no 3rd bedroom and just rework current kitchen/laundry room set-up.

DH has spoken with work colleagues who are older and closer to retirement age, and they regret the money they have sunk into their house 10-15 years ago. They can only get it back if they sell, and they're not ready to sell. Other friends are 3 years into their major remodel, way over budget and the economy has decreased their income. Their house has increased in value, but they can't get that back now.

Dh and I wondering if it's worth it to do the major remodel. I'm estimating that we'll have the cash to do the major work in 2 years based on how we've been saving for the last few years. We could afford to do it, but maybe it's better to do something on a smaller scale, which could happen sooner, and use that extra money somewhere else - savings, college, retirement etc.

We've been here 5 years, plan to stay at least another 13 until DS goes off to college. We live in high COL, our neighbourhood has 2, 3 and 4 bedroom homes. We're the largest 2 bedroom house. 2 bedrooms works for us as we have one child. We have a big family room and living room that doubles as our guest room when family visit once or twice a year.

I suppose my question is, how did you know how much was worth putting into your home?

Comments (18)