SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mom2wj

New countertop vs exisiting tile backsplash

mom2wj
13 years ago

I am hoping someone can help me figure out the best solution to this problem...we have a tile backsplash in our kitchen that we have decided to keep, but we are hoping to have new post form laminate countertops installed. Our old countertops have a laminate backsplash that is 3 1/2 inches tall, which runs flush with the tile backsplash above it.

The new countertops can have a backsplash that would either be 3 inches tall or they could have one that will be 3 3/4 inches tall (depending on the style), but, of course, there is no option to do one at 3 1/2 inches.

If we go with the 3 inch one, that will leave a 1/2 inch gap between the new countertop and the tile backsplash. If we go this route, I am not sure how to fill this gap.

If we go with the 3 3/4 inch one, the countertop will actually overlap the tile backsplash. In this case, the back of the countertop will not sit flush against the wall, but will have about 1/2 inch gap to account for the tile above it.

I do not know which option is better...any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (3)