SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julieste

Do you have a small desk nook or alcove?

julieste
9 years ago

We are in the midst of a remodeling decision. We have an inaccessible 30" deep, 9' long bedroom closet whose wall we were thinking about opening up so we could more easily access the closet. Now we had a different idea and are contemplating opening up part of the wall for full access to closet space and building a divider wall to separate off the other end of the closet. This space we'd also open up and make a built-in desk niche/nook/alcove. One narrow end of the closet has a small window, so if we did this, the desk area would have a window on the side of it and wouldn't feel so closed in. The configuration would be that the nook would be tucked in the corner of the room with a 30" deep wall on the other side separating it from the closet space. I'd probably build in a desk that is about 24" deep.

My question is how wide is your built-in nook? And, is the width you have adequate? If we do this, the largest width I think we could get (and still have adequate closet space) would be 40" to 44".

We are looking for a space where we could use a laptop and be able to spread out just a little if we needed to access paperwork while using the laptop. With a built-in we'd probably just have a single drawer built across the width of the desk top.

Thanks for the help.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County