SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
euglossa

washer dryer shopping

euglossa
13 years ago

I found three options for compact stacking washer dryer sets at the scratch and dent appliance store in town...the one with the great service reputation.

Two front load sets, Washer is energy star, but no gas dryer option. One Whirlpool, one maytag. And one old style top load stacking set, not energy star, but can get a gas dryer option. They'll each need about 26 inches of closet depth and two feet of width.

I found a lot of online reviews panning the maytag; better, but not stellar reviews for the whirlpool.

How do the savings pan out, electric vs. gas dryer? I can't wait to use a clothes line, so I wouldn't use the dryer all the time.

I need to be able to open the door during wash cycle and check hand-wovens during wet finishing. The front loads allow that, but it's easier to do with the top load machine.

All three options are available with minor cosmetic damage, full warranty and deep discounts-he's got quite a stockpile and is anxious to move them.

Full sized washers are simply not an option... the closet bumpout would nearly cut off access to the bed and the rest of the closet.

The bedroom roof should be sheathed when I get home and possibly the window openings cut out.

The room is 10 feet deep by 15 feet wide, will be a little less with 2 by 6 framing, but I wanted the extra insulation. The vaulted ceiling will rise from 8 to about 10 feet under scissor trusses. The closet will take up about 26" on the short wall on the west. There will be a faux french door on the east, one side opens, the other is for show. Bed centered under the vault against the south wall with a 2 wide by 5 foot high casement window on either side of the bed, rising from 3 feet off the floor.

That leaves about 3 1/2 feet from the foot of the bed to the door, which opens out from the bedroom. A bit less than three feet between the bed and the closet and almost five feet between the bed and the east wall. Room enough for a small dresser and a couple bedside tables and that's it.

The 10 foot closet will house the compact washer/dryer, a foot and a half to two feet of broom closet storage and the rest for hanging clothes and shoes. That's a whole lot more storage than I have now. Currently I have an antique 30" wardrobe for hanging clothes, a very small dresser, a pile of shoes by the door and my brooms and stuff leaning in a corner of the kitchen.

It's a little space by most standards, but feels palatial to me.

Ellen

Comments (5)