okay anyone in nj or pa great trash to treasure flea market!
19 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (14)
- 19 years ago
- 19 years ago
Related Discussions
cleaning parent's (abandoned) home
Comments (25)Done! Thanks for all your suggestions - many of the ideas really helped. And we only needed to make one run to the store - for more bubble wrap. Unfortunately, I was so overwhelmed by the amount of volunteers and the craze that started when we all arrived that I did not give very good instructions to what to save or put aside. I am certain that some *treasures* were disposed of.... but I'm trying not to get too upset over it. After all, those tiny items would have probably just been transfered to a rubbermaid tote and stored (and forgotten about again) for years... I am the only relative - except for some far removed cousins. So, thankfully, there's no concerns about inheritances. And I did get all of her financial stuff out of the house a year ago when I accepted guardianship. Most of the papers left in her home were exceptionally old (some phone bills from 1972) and paperwork from school (as she was a teacher). I bet there were items with some personal info disposed of improperly (though I bought a shredder), but again - I'm trying not to worry about that. My volunteer friends probably were not as conscientious as I would have been - but without their help, I wouldn't have gotten through that day!!! We did finish in 5 hours - can you believe that? 9 people, 1 dumpster and $98 worth of breakfast! We did not clean a thing - just ridded the place of her personal belongings. The only things left are large peices of furniture. Everything else was either smoke/nicotine filled or in a state of disrepair (i.e. small appliances). And, being the only relative, I did not have the wherewithall to clean, box and transport much to charities. Between being a single mom and having a full time job, volunteer at the hospital, caring for foster pets and school, I have little time to get donations to appropriate places. My friends convinced me to reduce stress and toss the stuff. It was an emotional ordeal - sorry that my mom's life was reduced to a dumpster of stuff that was being rained upon as we departed. What a shame. She was in the Miss America pagent, was very talented and educated. Unfortuantely there was *something* wrong and she got into drugs and alcohol. She was befriended (or whatever) by addicts that took advantage of her in every possible way and she ended up with brain damage and friendless by the time she retired. I don't know how she kept it going for as long as she did.... Poster child for the devistation of alcohol.... But thanks again for all your suggestions - some I didn't get until too late. sigh. Now I'm going to start cleaning out my own closets & cabinets!!!...See MoreMeet and Greet - Please Introduce yourself!
Comments (89)Well, after the bump, I started reading slowly and enjoying meeting everyone, and seeing again so many of the old regulars , and then I realized this was a very old thread! I scanned it to find my introduction and saw that I never introduced myself, so here it goes: Hi! I'm Maria, I live on the island of Chios (Greece), in my hometown were my parents and sister still live. We returned here with DH and 2 DDs after 20 years in Athens. BIG change in way (and quality!) of life. I'm a librarian, and a singer/pianist, very active at church in music and children's ministry and translating. I craft (recycling materials - I only buy glue and hotglue sticks!), and garden, and cook, and I LOVE organizing. On the other hand I don't like cleaning very much. I could definately be an organizer for other people but here it would be VERY strange for people to hire someone to come and see, and assess, and offer solutions for their mess... I am on this forum since 2000, but the last few years I only lurk, very faithfully though, and I agree with everyone that has said that people here are very genuine and friendly and always offering good suggestions and ideas and food for thought in general. This is my favorite place on the web!...See MoreWho has (or is planning) a vintage kitchen?
Comments (34)We are pursueing an unusual route. We have what was a somewhat grandish 1882 home that is a mixture of Second Empire and Eastlake. Typical for the time, the back rooms (including the kitchen) were not finished to anywhere near the standard of the front (public) rooms. All the trim, moldings, floorings, hardware etc are/were several grades lower. Trying to recreate such a kitchen would seem fun for a museum, but not practical for the 21st century. And trying to create a muddle left us uninspired. Then we asked ourselves this question: What if, in 1882, they valued and utilized their kitchens as we do today? What if the kitchen was meant to be public and just as grand as the rest of the house? What would it have looked like? That question now forms our basis for design. We found the drawing below for a great ceiling and were able to order a replica, which we finally got installed about a month ago (lots of work!). We will do the floor in the Victorian style tiles from the Tile-Source. This week my wife is applying Venetian Plaster to the walls from Vasariplaster in BM August Morning, so that covers the large surfaces. The cabinets I am building and designing myself (thank God for Sketchup!), and they will be highly ornamental in the original Aesthetic Movement style, with no toe kicks and inset doors, ect. Crown Point has been an inspiration, but we are taking the design a lot further than they do in really trying to recreate period furniture/cabinet design. The idea is that upon viewing a person might reasonably think the cabinets are original to the house, with the exception that such cabinets were not built in kitchens at the time. It's all a bit risky, but it is exciting and we have our fingers crossed! Here is a link that might be useful: Tile Source...See MoreTrying too hard...
Comments (53)Sas95 thanks for your last post (and what a smile that table brought to my face!). I think that you summed it up perfectly, for me, about a reveal and asking, or NOT asking, for help or specific feedback. It's funny that we mention having a 'thick skin' when you post a thread but that thick skin goes both ways. If I say 'thanks but no thanks, I like it just the way that it is and I didn't ask for suggestions of change', well then, the person that offered me unsolicited advice should have thick skin too. I changed my username after having been a GW member for 10 yrs or so and due to changes in my life have posted MUCH less frequently on GW over the yrs since changing my that name. W/in the first few months of changing my username I got hammered by a more recent GW member because I posted links to décor related things and upcoming TV shows. I simply did not have time to post lengthier stuff but wanted to remain a part of GW as much as possible. I posted those links because I knew specifically that lots of other GWer's were very interested in those specific things. It was fairly ugly and clearly a case of open mouth, insert foot as many GWer's came to my defense that I was not some 'Spammer'. When I posted another project that I completed another member actually responded in the strangest way that they'd done and posted something similar weeks prior and nobody responded to their post. It was really uncomfortable for some members of which one finally posted in good spirit to sooth the other over that maybe I was inspired by the other. In fact I was not nor had I ever seen the other but what I appreciated was the GW member who had the sensitivity and common sense to try and appease the slighted member who went off in a huff. Look, I may post infrequently and post my reveals & projects more so than for help but hey, some folks here have helped me or have been interested in my projects for some time. And I post to threads that I can offer specific advice to when I am on. Sometimes there are a many, sometimes none that I can contribute to. And I've dreamt out loud on GW for ages and some of those dreams are finally coming to fruition so, yeah, I'm gonna post about them and it sounds like a fair amount of folks are going to potentially find that self-serving. That's ok. So many have been helpful and supportive during that time urging me to go for it. So 14yrs of being a member here and having had seeing it on both ends: 1: Being a very regular poster and posting often. and 2: Not being a regular and posting here and there in spurts. You do get treated differently. But whatever. I love decorating so, so very much that I won't ever stop posting here to some extent. Just make sure to not be slighted if I directly respond to unsolicited 'what I should change' advice. Now, I really need to find the link to the house on Houzz that started......See More- 19 years ago
- 19 years ago
- 19 years ago
- 19 years ago
- 19 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
Related Stories

HOUZZ TOURSMy Houzz: Flea Market Glamour in Texas
A crafty design blogger transforms her suburban ranch home into a free-spirited space with reimagined secondhand treasures
Full Story
ACCESSORIESHow to Really Score at the Flea Market
To snag the best deals from arrival to departure, follow these tried and true guidelines from an insider
Full Story
EVENTSTreasure Hunting at Texas' First Monday Trade Days
Check out some of the antiques, art and collectibles on offer at one of the largest flea markets in the U.S.
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESThe Cure for Houzz Envy: Guest Room Touches Anyone Can Do
Make overnight guests feel comfy and cozy with small, inexpensive niceties
Full Story
HOUZZ TOURSMy Houzz: Eclectic Treasures Find a Home in a 1910 Victorian
Secondhand furnishings add spirit and soul to a century-old New Jersey house
Full Story
EVENTSTreasure Hunting at the Brimfield Antiques Fair
More than 5,000 antiques dealers are selling their goods along a 1-mile stretch of rural New England this week. Here's what we found
Full Story
HOUZZ TOURSMy Houzz: Colorful 1930s Family Farmhouse in Ohio
A quaint childhood home in Madison County gets new love with DIY projects, flea market finds and eclectic vintage treasures
Full Story
PORCHESA Peek at 2 Prettily Dressed Fall Porches
Pumpkins, fall flowers and flea market finds help two Ohio porches get into the seasonal spirit
Full Story
FURNITURESmart Shopper: How to Judge Antique Furniture Quality
Pick the treasures from the trash without expert experience by learning how to evaluate antiques and what questions to ask
Full Story
FURNITUREHow to Find Great Antiques Near You
Experience the thrill of the hunt with these tips for finding the best sources of antiques in your area
Full StoryMore Discussions
mojojojogrlnjOriginal Author