SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mosaicwench1

Nail ball (with rudimentary instructions)

mosaicwench1
17 years ago

I've had requests about making one of these. It's relatively easy to do, but takes a LOT of time and patience. I warned you.

You'll need:

One bowling ball (the lighter weight, the better) cleaned well with rubbing alcohol or turpentine and left to dry.

One length of rebar (your choice of height but you better LOVE the height cuz this project is AWFUL to move once it's done). Mine was 4 feet high.

Eight pounds of roofing nails - yes eight POUNDS - your choice of length. I used 2 1/2" or 3" nails.

Several tubes of GE silicone II clear adhesive caulk.

Do not fill the finger holes of the bowling ball. One of these holes is where the rebar goes in to provide a stand.

Once the ball is cleaned (to remove wax and oil) turn the ball so the finger holes are on top and start gluing nails to the ball around the finger holes.

Don't be stingy with the adhesive or the nails will fall off. You should only do a row or two at a time and let them set up completely (8+ hours) before moving on. Glue the nails very close together, but don't let the heads overlap. There is no grouting of this project.

There truly is a method to my madness . . . just wait for it.

When you go back the next day to glue on more nails, turn the ball so that the area you are working on is straight up. This diminishes the tendency for the nails to slide off. You're only doing a small section at a time and waiting for almost full curing so they shouldn't fall off. Your goal is to do the (half) hemisphere that contains the finger holes first. Once that half is done the real fun begins . . . .

Now is the time to drive the rebar into the ground (at least a foot cuz this baby is heavy). From this point out you will glue the nails onto the ball in situ (on site - I love Latin). Pick warm (but not hot), dry days to work.

Drive your rebar into the ground, get heavy leather gloves and gently carry your ball with nails to the rebar. Carefully turn it over and guide the finger hole to the rebar. . . . it might help to have an assistant at this point - someone who doesn't mind cursing when those nails make contact with your palms or theirs.

From this point on you will add nails around the ball in single rows beginning right up next to the already cured nails on the bottom. Sometimes the nails stick without help, remaining in place, and sometimes you need to place pencils lengthwise between the cured nails and the newly glued nails to hold them in place while the adhesive cures.

That's all there is to it. Just takes a long time and patience to let the adhesive cure. Rushing it will give you a disappointing mess. Mine has held up for four years in zone 5 winters/summers without any maintenance or loss of nails. It is the single most commented upon item in my yard.

Here is a link that might be useful: nail ball

Comments (15)

Sponsored