SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

Landlords: Is this typical in your area?

palimpsest
12 years ago

I am renting out the house that I am buying because my condo is still on the market, and I don't want to rent the condo out.

The house I am buying is in the process of getting a new bathroom as we speak (owners started it while on the market).

The house had paint cans and new remnants of carpet in the closets when I looked at it.

Three girls are going to be renting the house and they requested that:

The house be fully cleaned (check)

The interior be repainted (?)

The rugs be removed, replaced (???)

I understand cleaning. The house is probably dirty also from the bathroom construction.

Maybe the paint is messed up in the stairwell and the bedroom that is getting the new full bath, but the paint was obviously in good condition when I saw the house.

Maybe the carpet is a bit dirty because of the construction but it smelled new when I looked at the house a few months ago...wouldn't cleaning be enough?

I am checking with the current owners to see when the rugs were placed, and with the Realtor to determine what the renters' objections are...like, are they concerned that there were pets or smokers? It seems very wasteful tear out carpet that is in good shape.

Also, the floor that is exposed needs to be refinished and I am afraid if I remove the other carpeting, are they going to complain about that? Honestly, if I have to do this I am getting the cheapest carpet install I can get.

Is this typical or is this high maintenance?

When I rented, always expected the place to be clean and not have banged up walls but new rugs in the whole house?

A friend of mine who rents her shore house said that tenants arrive demanding the Four Seasons and leave it looking like Motel 6 after a meth binge, and I am wondering if I am in for the same thing.

Comments (28)