SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Justgotabeme - pics for you

2ajsmama
14 years ago

Didn't want to hijack the arched window thread any more. Since you said you liked my woodwork (just plain ole builder's pine, stain grade - just barely), here are pics of the past couple days' work.

Bay window - sill and center casing (I have to stain side casings and then we'll put them up and do apron - *maybe* I can get cousin or DH to put romans in tomorrow, or else my sister and I will!)

{{gwi:1771262}}

Today - I ran kids to dentist and grocery store while cousin cut and joined and installed the railing. I stained 11ft last night, but he had taken 2ft home to practice joint on, had to use that part at bottom so it's not stained yet.

Top return to wall - nice

{{gwi:1739747}}

Bottom return to newel post - cut a little short, uh-oh (gap at front and top b/c rail twisted when screwed to bracket - he says not to worry)

{{gwi:1747335}}

My new railing with temporary cedar half (the top half! Only about 30" long LOL) 3.5" square newel

{{gwi:1747334}}

I still have to order oak newel - think we might go with 3.5" instead of 3" and don't apply any molding b/c he cut the rail a little short, too close to corner so molding won't fit on 3" newel without overlapping the corner of the wall, or having gap here. I'll ask him again tomorrow b4 I order. Probably 3 weeks to get it and finish it (I'll poly the railing and the rosettes at the same time, will have him take the whole thing down for me once I get newel). We still need a balustrade on the bottom 3 steps but this is better than nothing (which is what we've had for 23 months!)

Oh, and as if I don't have enough ongoing projects, I did get the CL chair for $29, solid oak but some big cracks/open joints that I filled but filler won't take stain so I'll have to use acrylics.

Comments (10)