cleaning linen material on old pic frame

wobur

I bought an old wooden picture frame at a garage sale. The wood cleaned up easily and the dings I can fix, but I am stumped on how to clean a 1 1/2", off white, linen or canvas border around the inside of the frame. It is fairly dirty. Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks!

SaveComment6Like1
Comments (6)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
craftylady-2006

Hi Wobur, you might go to the Christmas and Holiday forum as the gals over there are now talking about home decorating. I just asked a question the other day about how do I know if my fabric napkins are real linen and got good response, so they might know the answer to your question. As for me giving you an answer, please know I am no expert on this stuff whatsoever, but would "steam" work at cleaning the part that's dirty? Just a thought.

Sal

Save    
Carol_from_ny

Try a knead eraser. You can find them in the art department of most craft stores.

My other suggestion would be one of those new Mr. Clean erasers.

Save    
Marisha

And if the earlier ideas the others have given you don't work, you could maybe paint it with a thin coat of off white paint.. just be careful and don't get it on the frame.
Marisha

Save    
paint_chips

Hi,

I had the same problem with an old frame I found. Sorry to report, I had no luck. Nothing I did could clean it. In fact, I think it just ground the dirt into the fibers.

I am going to go to my local craft/fabric store to get some of their by-the-yard ribbon. I know they have one their that is natural with a faint linen-like weave to it. I am going to glue mine right over the top of the old stuff.

I know my mom has used deep blue velvet ribbon on frames too.

Save    
wobur

What great ideas! I can try to clean it and if it doesn't work I will look for some ribbon I'll let everyone know if anything works. Thanks for the help everybody!

Wobur

Save    
romellev79@yahoo.com

What is the best glue to use to adhere the linen ribbon to the linen border of the frame?

I have glued burlap before and it seeped thru, so even when it dried it's darker than the other areas without glue.

Save    

Related Stories

Storage Get It Done: Clean Out the Linen Closet
Organized bliss for your bedroom sheets and bathroom towels is just a few hours away
Full Story
Budget Decorating Old Furniture: Clean, Reupholster or Replace It?
A veteran upholstery cleaner weighs in on the options for found, inherited and thrift store furniture
Full Story
Materials Fabric Focus: There's Nothing Quite Like Linen
Classic, understated, durable and mildew-resistant, linen is a casual fabric fit for any home
Full Story
Most Popular Cabinets 101: How to Choose Construction, Materials and Style
Do you want custom, semicustom or stock cabinets? Frameless or framed construction? We review the options
Full Story
Antiques Decorating With Antiques: Luxurious Linens
Bring quality, comfort and a sense of old-world romance to your rooms with vintage tablecloths, sheets, napkins and more
Full Story
Decluttering Get It Done: How to Clean Out the Pantry
Crumbs, dust bunnies and old cocoa, beware — your pantry time is up
Full Story
Cleaning Professional Tips for Cleaning and Organizing Your Closet
As the end of summer nears, consider the experts' advice on putting your clothes closet in order
Full Story
Cleaning Clean Up Your Cleanup Zones
Make chore time more pleasant by tidying up your laundry room and updating cleaning tools
Full Story
Your First House How to Reface Your Old Kitchen Cabinets
Find out what’s involved in updating your cabinets by refinishing or replacing doors and drawers
Full Story