SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chris_cwod

Kitchen Layout Feedback and Cabinet Refacing

chris_cwod
12 years ago

Hi,

I've been reading tons of posts on this forum and they have helped immensely! We are doing a partial kitchen remodel, and I'm hoping some of you could provide input on our layout and cabinet refacing ideas.

We plan to knock down the wall between our kitchen and dining room to open it up and add an island. We rarely use our formal dining room, and we don't have much space for even a small kitchen table in our current layout. We've got kids and we all love to cook, so a casual space with eating area and more counterspace/storage is great for us.

We just put in granite and a backsplash a year ago that we love (long story why we didn't consider the wall tear down then), so we'd like to keep as much of our existing kitchen as possible, and also keep costs down since it is not a total redo. We'll replace the fridge with a counter-depth one, but we're keeping the rest of our appliances.

I've included two pictures of our current kitchen. The wall with the fridge is the one that is coming down. The corner/sides of the kitchen that include the breakfast bar, stovetop, and sink will stay as-is. I've also included a design plan that was drawn up for us and the overhead-view drawing they provided. The new fridge will go on the wall with the oven, either right next to it or with a pantry/microwave in between, and we'll be adding an island in the middle of the room.

All feedback on the new layout is welcome! We are just in the initial stages of planning this, and I'm sure there are tons of things we haven't thought about or factored in. Also, you might not be able to answer this just from seeing plans, but any ideas on a reasonable cost for this?

Depending on costs, we are also hoping to reface our cabinets. I've read that refacing can be expensive and it�s almost worth getting new cabinets in some cases, but since we want to keep our granite/backsplash it seems like refacing would still be the best option for us and that it would save us money. Does that sound right?

We welcome any input or ideas you have for us! Thank you in advance for your help! I'm sure I'll be posting again once we get into picking colors, etc.

Comments (3)