SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
writersblock_gw

How hateful is a 24' cooktop?

I'm helping a friend figure out what to do with a very tiny kitchen with almost no base cabinet space. She'd be totally happy with only a 24" under counter oven, since she has an advantium microhood that she uses for most things, and to be able to slim down to a 24" cabinet there would give here a significant increase in usable area for lower cabinet space (when you only have a total of 87 inches to work in, with 24" of that blind space, an extra 6 inches is significant).

The thing is, though, that nobody makes a 30" electric cooktop that doesn't need at least a 28" plus fraction of inch cutout, so she'd lose the only two upper drawers in the kitchen if she did that.

So, you other space-challenged folks: what's worse: very little cabinet space and a full sized range, or slimming down to a 24" ceramic electric cooktop?

I've used 24" apartment ranges and they were as hateful as could be because of the pots bumping into each other, but I do see that with smooth countertop around it rather than the stove edge bump, it might be less awful.

She's not worried about resale--this is an area of largely vacation homes/homes owned by people who have retired from cooking--just about whether or not it's going to drive her nuts on a daily basis. She doesn't cook elaborately, but there are times when you need the soup to simmer while the potatoes boil.

Thoughts, anyone?

Comments (24)