SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
quartz_crystal

Feedback Wanted on 2100 Sq ft Home Design

quartz_crystal
11 years ago

Hello friends,

I'm building a new house and would like some feedback, suggestions, criticisms of my current design.

Few things:

-We live in a 1200 sq foot condo now that is open concept and only one bathroom. We're used to being together in every room.

-DH is a hobby musician and will have his man cave fully soundproofed in the basement.

-It's just DH, our chihuahua Tele and me living there. DH's child from a previous marriage in town once a month.

-We entertain a lot and have sizeable families. The living room is sunken, so assume that will make for some quiet in there.

-The flex space in the plan is negotiable, I'm thinking of making my ensuite bigger, so may reduce flex space.

-The study will be ground zero for our computer network.

-Cabinet maker in the family, so there will be plenty of built ins for storage throughout the house.

-Thinking of using a coat tree at the front door in the absence of a closet, we have a really nice one that serves as a decorative feature also.

-Parlour is a flex space and could be closed off to accommodate a third bedroom above grade.

-Living room will have a built in wet bar and sliding doors to bring the indoor and outdoor spaces together for summer entertaining or for after work pre-dinner cocktail hour.

Some concerns I have:

-Kitchen - I'm not sure about the sink in the island. I think it may be a bit crowded with the fridge, wall ovens, pantry, sink and d/w all concentrated in that area, but would also like to retain a symmetric line of cabinets as a feature. Open to suggestions.

-Best way to configure the mudroom - the closet will have hangers and cubbies to hang coats and drop keys, sunglasses, work bags, gym stuff, outgoing dry cleaning/tailoring, etc.

-Will also have cubbies or closets for sports activities - skates, skis, rollerblades, gym, etc.

-Need a built in ironing board and position W/D effectively to make it easy to fold

-Ensuite in the master seems tight to me. There doesn't seem to be room for robes/towels. It will house a spa shower (steam) to help our skin and bones through the cold Canadian winters. DH is up and off to work 1.5 hours before me, so bathroom sharing doesn't happen much. Need a beauty bar beside the sink that will also house built ins. May build out the master b/r wall more to reduce the flex space and increase the size of the bath. Would have to shrink the second bedroom though likely.

-The dining room will have an 18 ft open area that can be looked down upon from the study area. This is to capitalize on the afternoon light and is a design feature. Though we have an architect designing this, he still has new car smell.

Interested to see what folks think...love to hear your opinions!

Comments (6)