SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okmoreh

Den/hobby rm/craft rm/utility rm

OKMoreh
14 years ago

I still haven't quite finished the country guest room, but I'm starting to work on the room that is listed as "den" on the electrical panel. The previous owners used it as a hobby and craft room; I also use it that way, but I added laundry hookups at the end that contains the electrical panel.

The PO's were collectors on a major scale and had large built-in cabinets and numerous walls of shelves all over the house. In this room, I removed the cabinets to clear space for the laundry equipment, but left some of the shelves. Other than that, I've done nothing so far.

Last weekend I ordered curtains (JCP "Barkwood"in the toffee color, at half price) and a ceiling rod to curtain off the laundry/utility end. They'll probably arrive tomorrow but I won't install them until I've painted all the dark paneling (Kilz "Cashmere White," which I used on the new drywall at the laundry end).

I'll be near an Ikea store next week and plan to buy a "Knappa" lamp to hang over the work table - except for a fixture above the washer and dryer, the room has no built-in lighting. In addition, the windows are small, so it may be dark even with white walls. (Kim Myles: "People complain that their rooms are dark. They make things for that! They're called lamps.")

Guests usually don't see this room and I'm not trying to impress anyone, just make it pleasant to use.

Here is a link that might be useful: Barkwood

Comments (6)