SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenna_2008

KD ethics?

16 years ago

Hi everyone,

I have an ethical question to pose to the group. My DH are in the process of designing our kitchen and have been working with a KD for a couple months now. She is a rep for Adelphi cabinets in our area (Boston, MA)and we chose her company b/c we liked the inset, painted cabinets she had available. (seperate question but does anyone have any experice w/ Adelphi?)

Unfortunately I have not been very impressed, she just doesn't bring much to the party. We must wait weeks between appts. which I wouldnt mind so much except it doesn't seem like much gets done! Also I am not impressed with her cleverness or creativity, seems kind of ho -hummm

We have had 3 meetings and still don't have real budget numbers to work with. It also feels like she is editing her choices of design based on cost and not really telling us that, at the beginning of the process we gave her our budget of $35,000-45,000 and she hasn't even given us a ballpark (exept to say we should be able to stay within our budget)- is that normal?

All in all, something seems off. We have continued to meet with her and intend to get as far with drawings as we can get. We paid her a $1,500 dollar retainer fee which she will keep no matter what.

DH and I are seriously considering taking her completed drawings and "bidding this project out' to other cabinet makers. (Big fat shout out and thanks to all my forum friends who offered suggestions/advice on cabinetry on my "Christopher Peacock copy" thread.) Has anyone ever had a problem like this?

I feel like she is a nice woman and I don;'t want to get her "in trouble" with her company but there is no way I can spend this kind of money and not feel rock solid about my choices-help, tell me it's not mean to let her work off her retainer and actually buy my cabinets from somewhere else. . . .

Comments (19)