SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Is this a crazy idea?

lavender_lass
13 years ago

I've talked about remodeling my little farmhouse before, but I want to know what you think of this idea. While I'd love to have a formal dining room, or at least a table that would seat 8-10 people, occasionally, it doesn't really fit into my dream kitchen plan.

The house has a dining room and small kitchen that I want to open up into one big room. I think one big space is much more practical and I like being able to talk to people, while I cook. Also, I really need a woodstove (for cooking and heat when the power goes out) and there are already corner windows in the dining room that would be perfect for a corner banquette. It would be a great space, but only room for about four people...plus a few people seated at the island/work table. Since it's just me and my husband every day, it's plenty of room for us, but kind of cramped, when we do entertain.

One thing I'd love to add to the house is a four season porch, with glass windows on two sides that can open to screens in the summer. I could put baseboard heat in, but I probably would only keep it warm enough for the plants, unless I was planning to use the porch in cool weather.

Well, here's the crazy part. If I set up my furniture, so that I have a table that will expand and use light weight upholstered and wicker type seating, I think it would be easy to have a seating area in the main area and a table with a few chairs in one corner...that could pull out to a big dining table with chairs (including some from the kitchen) for special occasions. You'd have to go through the kitchen to get to the porch, but the view would be great! It's not your normal dining room, but how great would it be for the holidays...all that snow on the pine trees :)

What do you think? Does anyone else use a space that is not their every day dining area for special occasions? Any pictures or ideas? Thank you!

Here's a view out the back, with the trees just beyond the horse pasture.

{{gwi:1097312}}

Comments (12)