SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bayareafrancy

My kitchen curse creeps into other aspects of my life...

bayareafrancy
15 years ago

Here is kind of a funny story that those of you familiar with my "kitchen curse" might enjoy!

Briefest recap: my vintage kitchen restoration has been cursed with mistakes, damaged pieces, shoddy quality, etc. Of course, the most dramatic instance was my no-longer-being-mined soapstone that was installed with a friggin 20 inch crack in it (yes--we are learning to live with it). Some of you may remember that back when the crack happened, I was initially concerned with complaining about it b/c I was afraid that the sweet guy who installed it (who had a new baby) could possibly get fired (his boss has quite a temper).

Ok, sooooooooooooo....

Mother's Day arrived! For about a year now, I have been wanting one of those girlie, retro bicycles. My husband totally surprised me with one! I had no idea! Kind of out of character for him to buy me something both so snazzy and unnecessary. Total fun! Wow!! I was overwhelmed!! I immediately rode all over our flat little island town.

And I rode by the bike shop to get the seat and handlebars properly fitted. And buy a cute wicker basket for the front.

So the nice young lad is installing the basket, and I go over to look. And there is a lentil-sized scratch in the gorgeous paint job on the top main bar thingy (between the knee area). I literally cry out, and drop to my knees! The nice young lad DROPPED his WRENCH on the bar!!

The owner hears my cry and comes right over. I tell him what happened. He gives the poor kid a look. Not a nice look. And says in a monotone, "order her a new bike."

Oh my gosh! I start getting that horrible sinking feeling again. Is this kid going to be in big trouble? I stand there frozen. I hear a voice tentatively offer me the basket (50 bucks) for free if I keep the scratch. I am frozen. I try to call my husband to see what he wants me to do (I know that he will insist on the new bike so that I don't have to see yet-another scratch on a beloved object every day of my life!). No answer.

I'm silent for a while. I'm afraid I'm going to cave and take the basket. So I just say to the owner, "This was a REALLY special surprise for me, and of course I want it to be perfect. But I don't want him to get into big trouble over this. I couldn't enjoy the bike if he did." The owner softens and tells me that mistakes are part of the job, they will sell it at a discount, the kid won't get in big trouble. I verify this several times, b/c I'm not sure I believe him. He also says that he thinks the first scratch should be my own, and not caused by somebody else!

So I'm getting a new bike!

As I was walking home, I called my husband and said, "You will never believe this." After hearing the story, he compared it to the soapstone, and was very glad that they are replacing it.

So, holy cow! I wonder if this old house we bought is cursed or something! I've been contemplating LASIK surgery for years now. Given my curse, I think I might end up with a scratch on my cornea (which the doctor might then try to dismiss as a naturally occurring fissure!)

Happy mother's day fellow moms!!! And try one of those Electra bikes! Soooooo fun!!!!!!!!

Francy

Comments (2)