SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
columbiascgw

Roll Call 2

columbiasc
15 years ago

Wow! That first thread was getting long. I'm new here so I hope I didn't step on any toes by starting a new thread.

I'm Scott from Columbia, SC (duh). My divorce shack is a non-descript 1950's brick ranch with 1024 sf of heated living space. 90% of the time it's just me so I have plenty of room. I have had a fondness for small houses since the mid 80's when I discovered Seaside, FL and the wonderful prototypes that were first built there. Other than some apartments, this is the smallest space I have lived in since my youth.

Main concern: Although I have pleanty of space, the house lacks curb appeal and does not have as efficient a layout as could be acheived if designed today. Prior home improvements leave a lot to be desired but market values prohibit putting much money into the house. As Greenspan once said "It is a cunundrum".

Other concerns: The lot is very large by modern standards, 100 by 250 but the entire neighborhood suffers from a drainage issue that the State and County refuse to help with.

Companion filter. Golddiggers flee when I bring them here! It's a great filter. :)

Conclusion: I love living in a small space and fantsize about a day when I can move into an affordable, well designed, energy efficient and attractive small space. Although, with land prices soaring and builders refusing to even talk about building a "custom" home with less that 2000sf, I don't know how to make this dream a reality. But I refuse to give up on my dream!

I found this site through Gardenweb and I look forward to making new friends here and exchanging ideas.

~ Scott ~

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions