SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
postum

Mini home makeover - coming soon!

postum
17 years ago

Hi - some friend of ours our coming to stay for a week and help us out with the house. He's a contractor, she's an interior designer. We have a budget of ~$5000. Mostly it is going to be necessary repairs, but I hope to get some cosmetic improvement out of it too. I'm in the process of taking "before" photos with my little toy camera (I hope they come out!) and I will post the befores and afters. I'm so excited! Here is a list of what we plan to have done:

Replace downstairs entry door (frame is broken and it is an interior door.)

Replace bathroom door (folding plastic) with bi-fold or pocket door with privacy lock.

Repair ceiling where water leaked.

Remove nonfunctioning wood stove (this is in the very middle of a large room - total waste of space.)

Possibly replace windows near laundry room with french doors (make it much easier to hang things on the line, and the currently unused space will make a great kid's entrance/mud room.)

Install large window in attic playroom.

Replace crummy old vinyl in kitchen with???

Come up with plan to make deck usable (too scorching hot & windy)

Replace/improve lighting.

Probably do quite a bit of painting.

I have this crazy idea to replace the sliders in the living room (which open to the deck from hell) with a fireplace. At least I'll see if it would be possible!

We also have a dining room with what seems to me an impossible layout - it is a pass through to the galley kitchen, and quite narrow, so now we have the table almost up against the wall, and we can't sit across from each other while eating. I find this very annoying. My friends are very creative and fast workers - they do a lot of quick remodels on houses prior to selling, and will build furniture to fit the space. We may also have some built in bookshelves put in the living room (heaven.)

I'll let you know how it turns out! We've worked with them before (they helped fix up our old house before selling) and it worked out great.

What would you do if you could makeover your home?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio