SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

What makes a 'smaller' home on this forum?

lavender_lass
10 years ago

I love the smaller homes forum, not only for the very nice and supportive people, but the great storage solutions and clever design ideas. Whether we like tiny homes, smaller homes or even medium to large homes, there are many wonderful people and ideas to be found on this forum.

So this got me thinking, does it really matter how many square feet we have in our home? Not all families are the same size, some people work at home, others entertain friends and family, while others do not. The size of the home isn't as important as the way we utilize our spaces, IMHO.

Built-in storage ideas, flexible living spaces, detail-oriented design and not replicating functions are all great ideas. Trying to keep heating and cooling costs down are always an incentive and living greener is another. Recycling and reusing items, using less resources, buying slightly used items and going through our own items and donating what we no longer need are all topics I find interesting...and often on this forum.

I guess my point is that living 'smaller' is like living in a 'Not So Big House'...it's not just square footage, but a way of living. I don't want to see the forum divided into square footage requirements. Square footage may be how it started, but I don't think that's the only thing that defines our forum, today :)

Comments (10)