SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristen_hallock

Help with preliminary kitchen remodel ideas

Kristen Hallock
14 years ago

This will be my 2nd kitchen renovation. We sold our last house after we had remodeled the kitchen. Anyways, my husband says we can probably afford to remodel current kitchen next spring. But I would like to get some layout ideas. So I am including a picture. Please give me your thoughts on island size/shape, placement for fridge, pantry (cabinet), stove, etc...

Current kitchen is a good size. We plan on refinishing the oak floors, getting new cabinets (natural maple shaker-style), probably an engineered stone countertop. We would like to get rid of the island cooktop and probably replace it (and wall oven) with a 36" range. We are thinking the range would be on the outside wall ~ where current wall oven is. We would also like to put a window on this wall to get more light into kitchen. Probably between where fridge + wall oven is now. At the left of the picture you can just barely see a desk cabinet. We want to get rid of the desk. This space could be used for something else (pantry? fridge? something else?), The white door that is swung open goes into a small laundry area and then out to the garage. When the door is opened it blocks the current pantry cabinet. I hate this but I'm not sure what should go there if we changed it.

Our kitchen eating area is out of view here. This photo was taken standing at the end of the table. The wall bumps out after the cabinet at the right (at end of sink run) into a 3 sided bay-window type thing with a sliding glass door that leads to a screened in porch. The window over the sink looks into the screened in porch.

1. The island - I like having an island. Would prefer not to have a stove-top on it. Would love to have seating at the island, and we do have the room for it I believe. Current island has a hang-over for stools, but I dont like that with a cooktop on the island.

2. What to do with the desk-area

Here it is!

I realize I dont have measurements but I'm just looking for some ideas on layout and options I should consider. When we get closer to remodel time we will go to Lowes and pay to have someone come measure and then look at our cabinet options. Will probably do Kraftmaid since we were pleased with them last time.

Thanks!

Comments (11)