SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
enigmaquandry

Siding issues, question for Marti8a and JenniK?

enigmaquandry
13 years ago

As I'd mentioned in my other post, we just recently discovered that our siding is fading a TON, it is also twisting and coming off the house a little in some places. We would like to get the house re-sided and had settled on fiber-cement (probably HardiePlank) but when the guy came today to give me a quote it was $18,500!!! We have a tiny, simple cape cod! I was stunned by this, I was expecting much closer to 8,000 (hoping for even less, clearly I don't know what I'm talking about!). I knew it was expensive but I was totally unprepared for that number.

This is not a good time for us but it does need to get done sometime this year or next and I can't come up with any good options for us! I refuse to re-side the house in vinyl. I always said I would NEVER buy a vinyl house (I love a lot of houses with vinyl, my second favorite house in my city is vinyl, I just don't like to live inside it) and then we went and bought one, but my hubby doesn't like it either.

Honestly I don't mind the look of aluminum at all, some of the houses on the street are aluminum and I only figured out they aren't wood a week ago! No one around here wants to install it though...I guess it's on the "out" and is susceptible to a lot of issues. I just have no idea what my options are, or is there NO reasonable way to recover your house?

I would be totally willing to try to re-side myself but I really don't know if I have the skill-set...just basic carpentry. I don't want to void the warranty of whatever I would use by messing it up and I REALLY don't want to cause any problems with water and the house.

Jennik, I know you just resided (and it looks really great!), did your contractor give you any options?

Marti8a, did you know anything about siding before you tried it? Did it take a long time? Did you understand the directions? (It seems simple until I tried reading the JamesHardie direction packet, oh my...Do you mind me asking how much the materials were?

AAAGhhh

Comments (24)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012