SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eclecticcottage

My small house (cottage)

eclecticcottage
10 years ago

We live in a cottage, as in a real live former summer cottage vs the cottage style house, lol. We are blessed to have finally found this place after about 10 years of hunting for one that we could afford AND wasn't in such rough shape that we weren't sure we could take it on (several we passed on have since been torn down). We measure in at just under 700 sq ft (like 696), with one bedroom, a kitchen, dining room and living room as well as a small addition that serves as a laundry room (or really, will, as the laundry currently lives in the living room). We have embraced the cottage style, in that typically these homes were filled with cast offs from the main home. Our style is eclectic, with antiques from the 20's in the same room as things from the 50's, and a few more modern items (mainly the couches). I also prefer old to new.

We have been catching up on "deferred maintainance" as well as general fixing up since we bought it. It was a cottage, then full time residence, then rental, then finally vacant when we bought it. It's seen an addition and at least one remodel. There are several others in the area that resemble it, and it seems our floor plan might have changed-although it's possible it wasn't built the same as the others either. Who knows.

More photos can be found on my blog, but here are some before and afters! We've had to do some fairly major work, especially in the living room, and the photos of the destructon are on there.

Dining room before and after:

The hallway before and after:

The kitchen before and after:

I don't have a good one of the living room, I just realized. This is the best I've got, it's before and afters one piece at a time!

And the floors, which are reclaimed garage sheathing

Comments (25)