SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beth_in_bend

Would a cottage garden suit my house? pics

beth_in_bend
16 years ago

Here is my house, which is very typical for our subdivision. I would like to spruce it up alot. This is my first year gardening and I am so impressed that I was able to keep anything alive that I'm looking forward to next year! This year we focused on the backyard and next year it will be the front yard's turn.

Since I'm so new to this, I would appreciate some input on whether the style of my house lends itself to the cottage garden design. I like low maintenance plants, and would like them to stay relatively low to the ground so as not to block the view of the house. I prefer perrenials, and I plan to plant lots of tulips this fall so I'm looking for good companions for them.

The house faces south and is in full sun all day. It gets alot of wind from the west. Our beds are about 2 ft deep, up to 5 feet at teh coner where the irrigation box is. I am thinking of growing some vines or climbing roses up the far columns, and we are thinking of adding fake stone to the columns. I will probably be pulling out everything that is there now. One thing I need to hide is the ugly irrigation box that's right next to the walkway. I'm thinking about just putting a slab of slate over it.

I would appreciate any recommendations and advice. Thanks!

{{gwi:322926}}

{{gwi:2046}}

{{gwi:2047}}

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz