SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19691163

And here's my new idea - or pipe dream. Whatever

User
12 years ago

I've talked before about wanting to improve the curb appeal of my house, by adding a gazebo on the end of the porch, or dormers on the roof. Anything to offset the other end of the house which sticks out much further, plus has a big gable. When I've mentioned this to dh, he just mutters uh huh, which either means he agrees, or he wants to pacify me without making any commitment, hoping I will forget about it.

I've already planned on painting the brick before we reroof again. I want darker brick, gray paint, white trim, black shutters, and maybe even a red door.

Then it dawned on me that we NEVER use the front porch. Never. The only thing our builder did right with this house was to pour the patios with the slab so the porch has good piers under it. And since the front porch has a roof over it, it would be easy to expand the rooms onto the porch. Best of all, I could expand my little 3x5 closet and the small closet in one of the other rooms.

Dh & I have shared a 3x5 foot closet for 15 years, and dh has crowded me more and more so I only have 4' of rod space right now. So extra room in the closet would make me jump for joy.

But that's not all. IF it's not too expensive, I'd like to change the location of the front door to make less space in the entry and so I can open the kitchen without having it in full view of the front door.

Also, moving the front door and putting a dormer/porch over it would solve the water problem that came with the original design. The current valley over the front porch causes a torrent of water when it rains, which overflows the metal dam and gutters and soaks anyone walking on the sidewalk to the porch. And if it's raining hard, the gutters overflow onto the sidewalk below.

It's still got problems, especially in the den (which would become the formal living room - the room that sticks out in front.

So here is my idea which still needs a lot of work, but I can't think how to improve it. Any ideas welcome even if they are way out there because it might lead to something really great.

The photo of the house today:

{{gwi:1363782}}

How I would change it:

{{gwi:2072001}}

The floor plan today:

{{gwi:2072002}}

And how I would change it:

{{gwi:2072003}}

Comments (49)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review