SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
klc0812

Memorial Garden

klc0812
15 years ago

Hi there....

I posted this in the landscape design forum but thought I would post here to see if you all have any thoughts as well...

I have an area I have been wanting to plant a small memorial tree (possibly a dwarf Japanese maple or weeping variety). I have put it off because I don't want to "just plant a tree"...doesn't seem good enough for my 14 yr old niece whom it is in memory of. I was also thinking a small water feature of some sort and a bench. Here is the area....the shed/playhouse behind it is work in progress, so disregard the mess. I can enlarge the area as well (remove some grass)....and will be removing most of the plantings that are already there. I would like to keep the project under $500 or so...DH can build the bench as he is a woodworker. I found a fountain I like but it will be close to $900 for everything. It is a basalt fountain...the stone itself is around $300, then the kit with the pond liner, pump, rocks, etc is around $500. Any thoughts, ideas, or pics? I am totaly open to different ideas so throw them out!

Thanks....

{{gwi:41294}}

{{gwi:41293}}

Comments (22)

• parma42
    15 years ago

An idea that would cost less than a pond would be just a nice, double fountain that was self-contained with no need for the pond. Love your idea for a Japanese maple. It's one of my favorite trees.

I'm very sorry for your loss and a memorial is a lovely idea.

Michelle

• allison0704
    15 years ago

First, I'm sorry to hear you lost your niece. I planted a Japanese maple tree on top of a cat and that wasn't good enough, imo, so the entire bed became Aja's Garden (named after the Steely Dan song). I planted ferns, lenten roses, azaleas and a few other shade lovers. I think it's a wonderful thing to honor your niece with a garden.

For the water feature, instead of a pond, why don't you do a container. I've had a small fountain, a large one and a pond. Ponds are almost a part time job. On our front porch of our last home, I took a metal container and sprayed it the rubber from a can (used to cover truck bed interiors) after drilling a hole for the pump cord. It was a simple fountain that needed topping off with water now and then. Even had plants in it.

Looks like your bed will get a lot of sun. What zone do you live in?

Here is the last house front porch. The metal container near the front right is the fountain. I need to scan this photo so it's larger. Sorry it's so small.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Related Discussions

WANTED: Plants for Memory Garden

Q

Comments (6)
    You're welcome. Well good to see you got your profile and trade list updated, but in the meantime, your Member Page email link disappeared. Am I a stickler for details or what? I 'suggest' go to Edit Your Membership Details and at the bottom of the page, check the dropdown box Show my email address to MEMBERS and also check the box for Allow other users to send you email via forms at our site. It is so hot in so many parts of the country that a lot of members aren't doing much trading or sharing at this time. I'd suggest you continue to watch for trades and 'postage offers' for things of interest and then a bit later make a new trade post (since there is a pretty good difference between zone 8 and zone 9b.) Sue
    ...See More

Memorial Garden Project

Q

Comments (9)
    I really like what you did with the glass. Great idea. You did a nice job on the etching. With a different design it would even be pretty to hang on the wall or in a window. And guess what- I've had a stack of these in the shed for years, I forgot I even had them till I saw this. I've never done etching, I assume it's like a stencil? How did you get the persons name all together so perfect? Really like the corners. TFS.
    ...See More

Mary Lou Heard Memorial Garden Tour: May 3rd and 4th

Q

Comments (0)
    After a one year hiatus and newly reorganized, the Mary Lou Heard Memorial Garden Tour is back for 2014 !!! 43 Gardens ranging from Long Beach to San Juan Capistrano await you and your fellow gardening enthusiasts. For more info. please visit our NEW website at: www.heardsgardentour.com Preview photos of each garden as well as addresses, directions, etc. can be found there. This is a great garden tour to attend. Hope you can make it !
    ...See More

Creating a Memory Garden

Q

Comments (1)
    I'd google them.
    ...See More
  • rucnmom
    15 years ago

Please forgive me in advance if you find this insensitive.

I think a memorial garden is a wonderful idea but how about locating it at your niece's school or favorite playground or park? Locating it in a public place would allow others to find comfort there - her friends for example.

My neighbor did some planting with her children in memory of their dad in the backyard --- and now they are moving.

• klc0812
    Original Author
    15 years ago

rucnmom...thanks for your thoughts....I didn't find them insensitive at all. Although we don't plan to move, I did consider putting the maple in a beautiful container for that reason as well. There was a tree and plaque planted at her high school for others to enjoy. I just wanted this for us. We think about her every day and miss her so much.

• estreya
    15 years ago

Maybe a butterfly garden?

• newdawn1895
    15 years ago

What a lovely girl she was...

• anele_gw
    15 years ago

Oh my goodness . . .your niece is so beautiful. I am so deeply sorry for your loss-- for the world's loss, indeed. Losing a child is perhaps one of the most profound tragedies.

I can certainly see why you would want a garden near your home. I think a water feature would be absolutely lovely. One thing I read in "The Victory Garden Companion" is that a water feature should look either like it is intended to be human made, or VERY carefully crafted to look natural. If you check out the book from the library, they have a picture of what not to do which was very helpful.

However, since a water feature will eat your budget, perhaps you can put aside space for it, but work on other things now. When time and money allow for it in the future, you could add the water feature then.

Perhaps you can create some sort of walk with an arbor (your DH could make this) that leads you into the memorial garden, with a tree along with seating, plants . . .what were your niece's interests?

Another idea . . .do you have any young children that come over or live with you? You may consider putting in a children's garden in your niece's honor. Here's a passage from a book (link below):
    "Stepping beyond the traditional ideas of building a treehouse or planting a vegetable garden, the authors include 60 unique ways to tailor a landscape to nurture a child's sense of enchantment and wonder. For instance, many children like to hide, and the book includes ideas for building natural caves out of woven willow branches, climbing vines, or weeping shrubs. For parents wanting to plant a good tree for climbing, this guide knowledgeably recommends the fast-growing and sturdy Norway maple as one of the best. It's filled with such information throughout its nine sections on water, creatures, refuges, dirt, heights, movement, make-believe, nurturing, and learning."

Again, I am so very sorry for your loss-- words are just not enough.

Here is a link that might be useful: Children's Garden

• graywings123
    15 years ago

I just want to remind that water features take maintenance - some almost daily if you have leaves falling into the water.

My preference for a memorial area would be plants that draw in birds and butterflies. I like the idea of a butterfly garden.

• denali2007
    15 years ago

I know that there is a way to make water fountains yourself with a pump and any decorative planter. However I'm not that handy . Here are some I found that are not too expensive.

Here is a link that might be useful: fountains

• klc0812
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone....I think I am just going to pick the japanese maple....something beautiful and unique....and put it a container and wait....until I can do what I really want to do, which is something more natural....small waterfall/pond or something. She loved white roses. I saw a turquoise (her favorite color) gazing ball the other day that would also be beautiful. I would also like a privacy screen to block out the neighbors shed...or something to grow vines on to block the view anyways....and as kind of a 'backdrop'. I guess I just need to not be in a hurry to get it done and do it right....unfortunately I can be rather impatient sometimes! Thanks for your suggestions....and if anyone is interested....I will link her site below...

and I hope no one minds....but can I say if you visit the site there is a link to sign a petition for childhood cancer awareness....would love it if you would sign it! There is so little awareness of childhood cancers...I sure didn't know before my niece was diagnosed.
    Thanks again....
    Kathi

Here is a link that might be useful: Kelsie's caringbridge site

• pam14
    15 years ago

Kathi,

I just looked at Kelsie's Caringbridge site, and I have tears in my eyes. How does a parent (or any family member) cope with that kind of loss? It happened so quickly.

I like your idea of starting with a tree. Then, I would look for a privacy screen for the neighbor's shed. If you live in an area where there are antique shops or architectural salvage yards, you might be able to find something really unique to provide some privacy. As for plants/flowers, a mix of bulbs and perennials are nice. I especially love seeing tulips and daffodils starting to emerge after a long, cold winter.

IMO, the most beautiful gardens are the ones that are added to slowly over time.

• chat2taz
    15 years ago

What a lovely idea to make a memorial garden for her. I just wanted to say I'm sorry for your loss, Kathi. We've also lost a young person in our family. No one is ever quite the same again after that.

• tinam61
    15 years ago

First of all, I am very sorry for your loss. I love the plaque in her honor.

Secondly, a water feature doesn't have to be alot of work. We have a smallish one in a landscaped area coming up to our front door. We usually clean it once a year (hubby takes out the plants, drains it, takes out any debris - we almost always end up with a frozen frog or two LOL), and other than that, we don't do much other than add the occasional water during our hotter (and drier) months. We have a fountain in the water garden. There are certain plants you can use for algae control. I would definitely use the white roses in your plan if you are able since your niece loved them. Also, the gazing ball sounds like a nice touch.

Thanks for sharing this, my husband lost a brother to cancer. He died two weeks before his 16th birthday. It's very hard for a family and friends of a youngster to go through that. I think your garden is a wonderful way to remember and honor your niece.

tina

• klc0812
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This is the look I am wanting in that corner:
    {{gwi:303873}}
    Costco has the whole kit for $749. More than I wanted to spend....but I feel good about it being the right thing...so we will splurge on it! We decided we will put it in next spring. So this fall I will move everything in that corner, put up either a small privacy panel or trellis...or maybe some arborvitae... in the back corner to block my neighbor's shed...and wait until spring to build my water feature and plant my tree and other plantings. I did pick up a climbing rose (white, her fave)...not sure if I should have it grow on the chain link or on a trellis...have never grown roses before!

I am looking into the butterfly garden idea....maybe I can incorporate some of those plantings as well.

Thanks...and if you have any other thoughts would love to hear them! And thank you for your condolences...sometimes it still seems unreal that she is gone. :(

• funkyart
    15 years ago

Klc, my sister, mother and neighbor all have home ponds. My neighbor's is the largest with the largest waterfall. All three built their own (well, we kids built my mom's from a basic pond kit). It helps to know what you are doing and to select plants that filter. I'd take the fall to research the options-- but as tinam noted, a well-planned pond doesn't take a lot of maintenance once everything is in balance. My sister had a party last weekend and her pond was just breathtaking-- the lotus was in bloom .. and water hyacinth (which is an excellent filter for the top of the waterfall) was thick and bright. Definitely a showstopper. They collected their own river rocks for the waterfall so it looked much more natural than the faux stone ones. I would be surprised if you couldn't buy a basic pond and build your own fountain for under $500.

All of their ponds have been designed to attract both butterflies and hummingbirds.. just enchanting and such a wonderful tribute to your niece.

I don't know where you are located.. but another lovely tree is a weeping dogwood. It is so delicate and pretty-- and it creates one of those magical umbrella spaces that anele mentioned. I would also look into flowers with symbolic meaning. I have seen gardens that "tell a story" through the flowers and they are just lovely and have such sweet meaning that lasts through the years.

Here is a link that might be useful: Symbolic meaning of flowers

• klc0812
    Original Author
    15 years ago

funkyart - I love that link....thank you! I will definitely keep that in mind when choosing plantings. That would definitely add more meaning to the area. A reason why I chose each planting....I love it!

The picture makes the waterfall/pond look big...really it is only 2' high....3'w x 5'long...but that size will fit well into my space. I will definitely look around and do some research before buying the kit at costco....just thought that would be easy since I am kind of clueless as to the specifics of building it myself!

I will look into the weeping dogwood....don't know that I've seen one. I did consider a dwarf dogwood, love those too. I live in the Pacific Northwest...WA state.

Thank you so much for your suggestions!

• neetsiepie
    15 years ago

Sorry to hear about your niece. I'm working on my own pet memorial garden, and I'm in the final phases of my reflecting garden that is my memorial to my Father.

I think you're better off with the maple. I've heard that dogwoods are very picky and require a lot of work. Particularly if you were to containerize it. We had a huge weeping japanese maple in our yard that was in the wrong spot, so the PO's came and dug it up. We were worried that it would not survive, but it did, and it's thriving. So they are pretty hardy and love the PNW climate.

Do you have electricity at your site? That is key to a fountain or water feature. And know that they also require a lot of maintenance. You'll get it full of pine needles and leaves, so it'll need to be cleaned regularly. Not trying to talk you out of it, just make you aware of the work involved.

Have you considered a birdbath? There are many beautiful low styles that would work in a natural setting. It would help with birds and wildlife, too. And they take a lot less work. I see you've got the nest box there...a birdbath is a natural.

• IdaClaire
    15 years ago

Kathi - I'm so very sorry for the loss of your sweet niece. Kelsie was a beautiful young lady.

• socks
    15 years ago

Kathi, I join the others in expressing my condolences on the loss of your dear niece. Sometimes life just doesn't seem fair.

Your garden will be wonderful. I think it will always be a work in progress as you maintain and change it over the years. So don't rush into it, take time to enjoy the process as you honor your niece.

I have a garden I consider a memorial garden, not for one person, but for every person or pet I've lost. It's just my special place. It's in a corner like yours. A little messy and overgrown, but I kind of let things do what they want. I go out about once a day and walk on the stepping stones (they go no where), just to have a reflective moment.

Best wishes in your project. I know it will be wonderful. Your niece would be happy to know you made a place of beauty in her memory.

{{!gwi}}

• texanjana
    15 years ago

Kathi,

You have gotten lots of great ideas. I just want to say I am so sorry for the loss of your beautiful niece. The website you have done for her is beautiful. My heart goes out to you and all of her family and friends. It is unbelievable how someone so young and vibrant could be gone so quickly.

Jana

• carriew00
    15 years ago

I am planning a memorial garden for my grandfather. I'm going to do an all white moon garden. He was born in a town called White Lily, so I'm going to incorporate them into my garden.

• klc0812
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Pesky....would love to see pics of your garden in honor of your father! Thanks for the advice re: dogwoods/maples...maples are really my favorite anyways!
    We will have all the necessary hook-ups for the water feature...and I know it will require some work, but I think it will be worth it.

socks...thanks for sharing the pic of your garden area...looks very serene!

carrie...I had to look up what a moon garden was...what a neat idea. Please post pics after you get it done!

Thank you again for all of your thoughts....love this forum!