SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emtnest

WIP counter tops

emtnest
16 years ago

My daughter and I are tiling my kitchen counter tops... I am very happy with the way they are turning out... I know you all are going to see a place for a mosaic backsplash!!! Might it be too much though? I hope this link works..

http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s242/emtnest/?action=share&pic=TILEKITCHENWIP.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (55)

• kudzukween
    16 years ago

Awwww, how nice! Wish I had a kitchen :)

• stjohnsgypsy
    16 years ago

Wow..I'm really interested in this........you are mosaicing over your current countertops? Love the color..........I have RUINED my countertops SOMEHOW? And have thought about mosaicing over them, but was not sure? I have set hot pots on them and left a white circle......arrgg...and then I have somehow stained an area........YRK...........anyway.......anxious to see the finished...........! LOVE IT.

• Related Discussions

Please post pictures of your counter-tops

Q

Comments (151)
    Love love love this topic. Your kitchens are amazing. Looking for pics of stainless; particularly of stainless with white cabinets and beadboard backsplash... Have you ever seen this combo? Any ideas would be awesome. Again truly amazing kitchens!!
    ...See More

Help with kitchen counter-tops is really needed...

Q

Comments (42)
    for the handles, may I suggest something to pick up on the hues in the flooring? A little more copper toned. you have light cabs, light floors. I think throwing in a dark ORB w/o actual copper highlights would be too much of a contrast. IMO. cypress park Sandra, I like the porcelain one better than the other one. Does the backsplash have to be done immediately? If the tones in the porcelain tile you picked clash w/the ivory tones in the counter, it could be a problem. However, I did find some copper toned ones that should be avail. these are porcelain/SS, and treated so as not to stain or tarnish. I LOVE these for your kitchen. timeless and gorgeous. They are probably not super cheap, but it would be worth it for me. http://www.miusartmosaics.com/arabesque-lantern-beacon-copper-tile-in these would also work. the site is here: maybe they have them in stock.http://www.westsidetile.com/arabesque-tiles/ i like this one too. notice the copper faucet. beautiful w/the glass mosaic. if you got the cream countertop, this would look amazing w/your floors. this last one is a copper colored slate/quartzite.
    ...See More

more counter-top help - laundry room

Q

Comments (19)
    Formica is a heat resistant, wipe-clean, plastic laminate of paper or fabric with melamine resin. This product was pretty standard in most homes for countertops in years past. Then with the popularity of stone, it was used less and less. You can find samples of formica in any box store near you. The cost is minimal compared to stone, although the look can resemble quartz or granite and does not have the panache stone has.
    ...See More

Most reliable counter-top microwave

Q

Comments (16)
    Whatever they sell at Costco and you can return it if it fails. My mom researched and bought one with good reviews at another store. It stopped working. She dug up her receipt and the manufacturer warranty had expired the week before. They were inflexible about honoring it since it was a few days past. They just do not make things like they used to. I might also pick a model by the convenience buttons that worked for how I use it such as add a minute or 30 seconds.
    ...See More
  • curbdiver1954
    16 years ago

LOVE the cobalt (Not to mention that fab window!)!!! Ya'll have done a great job....those grout lines are perfect! Not sure I could accomplish that even with spacers!

Re the backsplash....I'd do a mosaic one. The tile color looks like it would lend itself to a classic blue and white or blue, white and yellow scheme. What other colors are you going to use in there? Can't wait to see what you decide!

Pat

• bianchi3
    16 years ago

Love that blue, excellent job. Did you use tiles on mesh?
    Love to see a backsplash to complement it.
    Bianchi

• Shades_of_idaho
    16 years ago

OH That is very pretty!! good Job.

Heheheh and she asks US if a mosaic backsplash might be too over the top. ARE YOU KIDDING??? I do not think anything is over the top with us. Heheheh Check out Backsplashes in the seacrh. There have been some wonderful ones here lately!!

Just a beautiful job and I am also interested in if you went right over your counter. We have flat fronts and it would be easy to do here. The worst would be convincing hubby it should be done. Three years and I am still begging for new kitchen faucet Heck maybe sink too.; WOW This is GREAT!!! Thanks for the pictures.

Chris

• cindiloo
    16 years ago

Wow! What a big job to tackle! It's beautiful!! Love the cobalt with the charcoal grout!

• texaswild
    16 years ago

How about that looks like a professional jobber, girlie. What SHADES said - are you KIDDING? I'd be all over that backsplash, definitely. BEAUTIFUL work, and the grout is great.

• d3bbi
    16 years ago

Emtnest, beautiful job on your tile placement! I LOVE those tiles; they look great with your wood cabinets. Can you give us the name of them?

• gretch1964
    16 years ago

Awesome i love the colors. Backsplash next i can feel it coming.

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

Excellent! and dark grout? AWESOME! I googled and msn'd images of backsplashes one day...nice, great ideas!

• chickeemama
    16 years ago

Yes that look great. They will hold up nicely too. In the picture to me it doesnt look like your going over existing counter tops but...you will have to answer that question for us. Did you use pre cut tiles? I know we are asking a lot of questions arent we!!!!

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Love that blue!! couldn't be too much of it for me!!

Maria

• emtnest
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi All, I will try to answer all the questions..we went over formica. On the small backsplash you can see the ugly baby poop color it was...we sawed off the raised edge. Then screwed down hardi backerboard. Then put on the oak trim around the edges. Then the tiles. They are I think 12'X 12" and there are 16 little tiles on mesh in that. Then used the pre mixed thinset mortar. The grout is from Lowes and is called Spectra Lock. You mix 3 parts and it has sealer already in it... needs no sealing. You do have to use the whole batch once mixed, there is about an hour working time.The black grout is true black.She did all the cuts and I did all the mortaring them down...
    What I want you all to know is that my daughter and I have done ALL of this by ourselves...so it can be done... she is my wonderwoman... she's not afraid of anything...I bought a wet saw from HD and it works great. I'm gonna have fun with plates when this job is done. Hope I've answered all the q's... if not I'll check back...I'm really excited about our progress.. Dottie

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

Ewww! Baby poop! LOL!
    You two are doing an excellent job! There's not a lot of women who would have the nerve to try that. I admire you two for jumping in and getting it done.
    I bought a sheet of those tiles a while back because I loved the color. They're beautiful aren't they?

• mmqchdygg
    16 years ago

Question about the spacers sticking up...did you do that because they'd be easier to remove? Cuz 1 spacer will cover spacing for 4 tiles when placed horizontally in the corners...or stupid me...I bet you wanted smaller grout-lines, huh?

Ok, strike this from the record...

• haziemoon
    16 years ago

BEAUTIFUL COLOR!! It really looks great!
    A mosiac backsplash would be just amazing with those countertops. Can you just imagine the colors?! Do it!!!

Hazie

• livnlife
    16 years ago

That looks great!
    Love the color.

• andrea_2
    16 years ago

I love this blue color - it's got so much depth. RE: is it too much to have a mosaic backsplash in addition: um, no. Of course, I may not be the best person to ask. I'm a bellydancer, and as far as I'm concerned gold and silver sequins are neutrals. ;-)

• emtnest
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here is a pic of one of my counter tops finished. We are so pleased with the way they turned out...

• Shades_of_idaho
    16 years ago

OH your counters turned out really nice!! Love the blue.

Chris

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

BEAUTIFUL! GOOD JOB! I love cobalt blue! How'd you come across those tiles? Any left overs? I am learning the hard way about those skinny (50's?)pink bathroom tiles being terrible for outdoors as they freeze and chip! Just asking about leftovers as maybe a few trivits would be darling!

• cindiloo
    16 years ago

OH, you and your daughter are professional tilers?? Well, that's what it looks like! WOW! It really turned out SPECTACULAR!!

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

BEAUTY of a job, that came out so pretty!

• emtnest
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the nice comments... Calamity, yes I have lots of leftovers. Trivets are a great idea. I got the tiles at a flooring store that bought out another store and put all of this bought out stuff outside for customers to rummage through. They are actually swimming pool tiles. When I spotted them I knew that's what I wanted. Next big project is the laminate flooring that I got a great price on as well.

• rchovey
    16 years ago

Great job. Be proud!

• haziemoon
    16 years ago

So........is there a mosaic backsplash in the works???
    The tile color is screaming for one! I assume you have seen the few new one's here lately. There has to be enough tile left overs to add to to it! Come on.......give us a backsplah!!ahahah

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Oh, very definitely a professional job. VERY BEAUTIFUL, and yes - I'm w/HAZIE - you are OBLIGATED to mosaic a backsplash, and throw in your leftovers of that wonderful blue.

• fiddlekate
    16 years ago

Wow! That's beautiful! Love that blue color.

I have some of the blue tiles also... they carry them at our ... HD or Lowe's... can't remember at the moment. But every time I go in... I look to see if there are any with a broken corner... tile missing... 'cause they will discount them if so. Haven't used them yet... but expect to edge stepping stones with them. Like the trivet idea for you, too... and definitely a backsplash! Wonderful job!
    K.

• d3bbi
    16 years ago

Looks FANTASTIC!

• stjohnsgypsy
    16 years ago

Beautiful! So "rich" looking.........very professional!!!

• gretch1964
    16 years ago

Looks awesome. Great job.

• flagtruck
    16 years ago

Wonderful job, I am so impressed. I am drooling because I wish that was with my backsplash I just finished. I guess I will have to make do with the butcher block one I have for now, but I am listing a lot of stuff on Ebay to make enough money to buy a RED kitchen sink I found. You could get you a blue one. LOL.. A backsplash is what you need..take my advise and do it on backer board if you can, this standing and leaning to grout is a real headache. Congratulations again, you and your daughter are professionals, I love it. Proud of you.

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

That turned out really nice, very professional looking.
    Thats something to be proud of!

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Wow, love that blue. wonderful job!!

Maria

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

Swimming pool tiles..WOW!! I know we are pestering you about the backsplash...but it would be awesome!!! :)

• emtnest
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wowzer... so many wonderful folks here with such nice words..thanks to all of you. There just might be a backsplash in the future...we are still cleaning up from the California storm of the decade... had to take two 100 to 125 ft. trees down. One almost fell on our home. Our tree man went up it in the storm and brought it down in the dark so it wouldn't fall on our house. The ground was separating.. scary...

• cacbeary
    16 years ago

Great job on the tile. It looks professional & love the color of the blue tile.

Sorry to hear about the storm. Glad you & your home are SAFE!

• WUVIE
    16 years ago

Love it, love it!

Hubby said we could take off the existing countertops
    and mosaic them, so this gives me hope!

Could you tell me which brand of mortar you used
    from Lowes?

Many thanks!

KM

• chickeemama
    16 years ago

Wow Emtnest that turned out really awesome. Such depth...I agree with everyone about the backsplash.

Glad to hear you survived that storm...That guy who climbed the tree in the storm...I'll bet he was worth EVERY penny!!! Tree climbers are so awesome!!! (or what ever they call themselves!!!)

Donna

• emtnest
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wuvie, The grout is from Lowes and is called Spectra Lock. You mix 3 parts and it has sealer already in it... needs no sealing. You do have to use the whole batch once mixed, there is about an hour working time.The black grout is true black.I was able to do about a 3 x 2 1/2 ft. section with one batch.
    Chickeemama, yes he was so worth it... funny think is he said it would be $250 an hour to take the emergency tree down... He got it down in 1 1/2 hr in the storm... it was less than the one taken down during the non emergency!

• andrea_2
    16 years ago

That looks fabulous! I am suffering from counter envy right now...

So glad everything is OK after the storm. At the risk of sounding horribly tacky, did you save any of the wood for future projects? I want a pathway made from tree trunks. If you slice them sideways you get nice little circles. I'm not willing to just hack down a tree to get them, though! Just thought I'd ask so I could live vicariously through you.

• crackpotannie
    16 years ago

Beautiful job...you gotta do a backspash.carry your tile in your purse and start buying plates and little things to use...maybe blue white yellow ..or go gor a bright one lile MM and Flag,,just start collecting..look at Marshalls and Ross they get lot's of blue and white plates.

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

WOW! What a storm! Glad you and your house is fine!

• diytrying
    16 years ago

Countertop is amazing! You and your daughter must be so proud of yourselves. You certainly deserve it.
    Glad everything is ok after the storm.

• emtnest
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, I've been collecting plates, saucers, and cups for a couple of years now.. and have a great collection. I guess the hard thing is to decide how to put it all together for a backsplash..The ones I've seen on here are awesome!
    As for the rounds from tree,I think it's all going to firewood... might save a couple... our tree man says they attract termites and other bugs if left out...
    Also, when we thought we had to evacuate (you all will laugh at what I took) the only things I could think of that were really valuable to me were my stained glass lamp and hanging hummingbird that my sister made for me that would have been destroyed had the tree come down on our bedroom..

• emtnest
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Finally got the rest of them grouted, very happy with the way they turned out.
    http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s242/emtnest/?action=view&current=counterfinished.jpg

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

Beautiful!!! So cheery! I love the tile in the microwave shelf!! I'd love to have an open floor plan but DH glares at me for just pondering out loud about anymore renos!! HEY, he's gone the whole month of may!...heh heh heh....

• kymi75
    16 years ago

So beautiful! I love the blue! What a great idea and catch- the pool tiles. Bet they're extra tough.

• cindiloo
    16 years ago

Oh Wow! Did that ever turn out nice! Looks like a picture from one of those Better Homes and Gardens or something!

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Truly an amazing, professional job. You really used those tiles beautifully. You've created such a cozy inviting kitchen. Anxious to see the backsplash.

Sponsored