SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kadydid_gw

Gel stain freakout! Lots of pics.

kadydid
12 years ago

I am currently gel staining my kitchen and I am sort of freaking out right now. I have gel stained cabinets before. The first time I did it on my master bath with minwax.

Not too bad, but I thought it would be too dark for a kitchen.

So next I did my downstairs bathroom which is the darkest room downstairs and its right off the kitchen. This time I tried General finishes Brown Mahogany.

The cabinet looks a little more red if the flash was on it, but still not too bad.

{{gwi:1848425}}

So I thought SUPER! I am going to use this on my kitchen. But first (before the cabinet door was finished) I put it up against my counter and asked if my counter was too dark for that color.

A few people mentioned it looked a little red with my counters...hmmm I figured that it was just because I used a cabinet door that was not finished yet. I knew it would get darker as it needed one or two more very light applications.

So now I am doing it, and I do see the red. My kitchen is brighter than my bathroom so I think it is more noticable. But worst of all, when I take a pic (with a flash) of the wood on the bottom, it looks scary red in some images (even though it doesn't look like that with the naked eye.)

eeek

My kitchen is a mess!

These doors are NOT finished, so they will get darker, but they still have SO much red.

Even poor Lilly doesn't know what to think of it all.

But this is pretty much what it looks like with the naked eye.

So I am freaking out. Maybe I have been doing this too long? Maybe not enough sleep? After a good cry this morning, I decided to come on here and get some opinions as to what to do. Keep going? Switch to Java Stain? (which is the darkest stain, since we do seem to like the dark...but is that going to make it looks weirder?)

With the naked eye, I think it looks okay. But every time someone takes a pic of my kitchen is it going to look crazy red???

This is with a flash

This is without a flash

But just looking it in real life, it looks much darker. I don't have bad camera either.

(the kick plates are not even close to being finished.)

So obviously I am spazzing out over this. My husband doesn't get what I am getting upset over. Maybe its nothing? But is it going to be hit or miss every single time someone takes a pic in my kitchen?? That is not good.

If you finished reading this. Thank you.

Comments (46)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!