SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wantakitchen_gw

I'm Done -- So Thank You All!

wantakitchen
14 years ago

It's been three months -- and years of wishing -- but my 50-year-old kitchen is finally history. I couldn't have done it without all the help on this site -- thank you!

We enlarged the space my ripping out a powder room that was part of the old kitchen (nice to look at when you're cooking!), but not expanding the existing outline. The wood floors match what was already in the rest of the house. Cabinets were locally made but used IKEA glass Rubrik fronts on the island and the uppers.

Thanks to what I learned here, I saved lots of money on appliances by picking up floor items: Fisher Paykel double ovens, Miele six-burner gas cooktop, Ventahood. I already had a Miele dishwasher (the best!) and though I would like a French door refrigerator, I'm keeping the much-repaired GE until it quits. I also had a local sheet metal fabricator cut the backsplash, which I like to so much I'm going to do a mini version behind the sink. I splurged on the Grohe faucet, Rohl dispenser (the Never MT is not a splurge!) and the white carrera marble countertops, which I love. I went with a Ticor sink thanks to all the recommendations here and it's huge.

IKEA was the souurce of the utensil holders, knife rack and trivets. Specialtybottles.com supplied the canisters.

I guess that's it. I love having storage space, I love having the microwave off the counter and out of sight, I love having lots of vertical storage over the ovens and refrigerator. I finally have a pull-out trash (with a recycling bin behind it), which is great!

Again, this site was an enormous help; thanks to all who lend their experiences to newcomers.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Before and After Kitchen

Comments (18)

• gldnfan
    14 years ago

Lovely - what color are the walls? I'm sure you enjoy walking into the kitchen every day!

• lesmis
    14 years ago

Wow, what a great transformation!! I also love the wall color and would like to know what it is. You kitchen looks so sleek and updated, nothing like it's former dowdy self! Congrats!

Kat :)

• holligator
    14 years ago

What a beautiful transformation! I remember your weird powder room entry from months ago and remember wondering how you were going to solve that problem. Your space looks so much more efficient and the style is just gorgeous. Nicely done!

• lisa_a
    14 years ago

Holy smokes, batman! That is a remarkable transformation! Well done!

• katienic
    14 years ago

What a beautiful functional, yet calming space you have created. What a great solution for you microwave. You must be loving the ton of storage you have too!

• donka
    14 years ago

Very nice! You've really managed to get a lot more space out of the area you had. I love the microwave solution in the pantry! What a ton more counterspace you have now. I love the modern styling, and the paint colour looks great! Enjoy!

• marthavila
    14 years ago

You really have achieved a wonderful transformation of your space! And, although I usually prefer kitchen renos that reflect the "period" of the house, I must say that I'm really enjoying looking at your modern, sleek, contemporary, totally stylish and updated kitchen! The Ikea cabinetry rocks, as do the appliances and finishes. Great job all around. Congratulations!

• brutuses
    14 years ago

Very, very pretty. That pantry is huge!!

• ebse
    14 years ago

So cool! I love it! It is very different from what I've been seeing lately. It is fresh and inspired.

• gail428
    14 years ago

Looks like a showroom! Beautiful job - enjoy it!!

• kitchenredo2
    14 years ago

Very sleek and modern - love it! Especially the contrast of the dark cabinets and the light countertops.

May you enjoy many years of cooking in your new space!

• rhome410
    14 years ago

Very cool! Both the look and the functional things you've included, like the lift up door over the microwave. The hood and the SS backsplash look especially impressive.

• conn123
    14 years ago

beautiful...it looks so sleek and calm and welcoming at the same time...congratulations.

• wantakitchen
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This is why I love this site -- you all help when we need it and then say we did great! The wall color is Benjamin Moore Aura Affinty #500. It's a greenish gray that plays off the slate that is on the floor of the Florida Room next to the kitchen and throughout the house in hearths and bathrooms.

• buddyrose
    14 years ago

wow. looks like a magazine photo layout. Love your choices in cabinetry colors and wall color. Congratulations. enjoy in good health.

• debsan
    14 years ago

Very cool. Beautiful and unique.

• janwad
    14 years ago

This is so refreshing after such a long streak of traditionals here! I wish more of us had the courage to try something so unique.

Breath taking.

• frank59
    14 years ago

Congrats on a job well done. Kudos for having the vision to take the chance and now having a kitchen to be proud of.

Your now bookmarked as one of my favorites.